Understanding the Einstein Equivalence Principle

In summary: So in other words, the gravitational fields of all galaxies etc. would have to be very strong for the EEP to fail?No, the EEP does not require that the gravitational fields of all galaxies etc. be very strong. What the EEP does require is that the gravitational energy of all matter in the vicinity of a spacetime point should fall at the rate at which energy in an external gravitational field falls.
Frank Castle
The Einstein equivalence principle (EEP) states that

“The outcome of any local non-gravitational experiment in a freely falling laboratory is independent of the velocity of the laboratory and its position in spacetime.”

I’m trying to make sure I’ve understood this correctly. I’m I correct to say that the EEP implies that all forms of non-gravitational energy fall at the same rate in a gravitational field and consequently that all non-gravitational laws of physics hold in the presence of a gravitational field, in particular, locally they take on the form they have in special relativity?

Physics news on Phys.org
That’s not really a complete statement of the EEP. Better is e.g. from page 9 of:

https://link.springer.com/content/pdf/10.12942/lrr-2014-4.pdf

What you say in explanation is certainly true, as far as it goes. Note that the local position invariance aspect of EEP is not limited to free fall frames, and is what says a Pound Rebka type experiment yields the same result, locally, on the surface of the Earth or an accelerating rocket.

I hate to be a bother here but I'm not understanding "non-gravitational experiment in a freely falling". Isn't "free-falling" by definition gravitational?

itfitmewelltoo said:
I hate to be a bother here but I'm not understanding "non-gravitational experiment in a freely falling". Isn't "free-falling" by definition gravitational?
In Newtonian physics it is, but not in GR. The sense of the statement is that a Cavendish type of experiment (measuring attraction of two balls) is excludeded. The SEP (strong equivalence principle ) generalizes to allow such gravitational experiments, and it is hypothesized but not proven that GR is the only metric theory that observes the SEP.

PAllen said:
That’s not really a complete statement of the EEP. Better is e.g. from page 9 of:

https://link.springer.com/content/pdf/10.12942/lrr-2014-4.pdf

Thanks for the link.

PAllen said:
Note that the local position invariance aspect of EEP is not limited to free fall frames, and is what says a Pound Rebka type experiment yields the same result, locally, on the surface of the Earth or an accelerating rocket.

So is this the statement that the (non-gravitational) laws of physics are valid locally in all frames of reference, and in particular, for a sufficiently small neighbourhood around each spacetime point they reduce to their special relativistic form?

In the strong form of the equivalence principle this is extended to gravitational experiments, what exactly is meant by this? I get that it requires that gravitational energy should fall at the same rate as all other forms of energy in an external gravitational field, such that objects whose total mass has a significant contribution from its gravitational binding energy behave identically to other objects (with negligible gravitational binding energy with respect to their total mass) in an external gravitational field.

Last edited:

1. What is the Einstein Equivalence Principle and why is it important?

The Einstein Equivalence Principle is a fundamental concept in physics that states the laws of physics should be the same for all observers in any inertial frame of reference. This principle is important because it forms the basis of Einstein's theory of general relativity, which explains the behavior of gravity and the motion of objects in the universe.

2. How does the Einstein Equivalence Principle differ from Newton's laws of motion?

Newtons's laws of motion only apply to objects in inertial frames of reference, while the Einstein Equivalence Principle applies to all frames of reference, including those that are accelerating or experiencing a gravitational field. Additionally, the Einstein Equivalence Principle takes into account the effects of gravity on the fabric of space-time, while Newton's laws do not.

3. Can the Einstein Equivalence Principle be tested?

Yes, the principle has been extensively tested and has been found to be consistent with all experimental observations to date. Some of the most famous tests include the Pound-Rebka experiment, which measured the gravitational redshift of light, and the Shapiro delay, which showed that light is deflected by massive objects.

4. Are there any exceptions to the Einstein Equivalence Principle?

There are currently no known exceptions to the Einstein Equivalence Principle. However, some theories that attempt to unify general relativity with quantum mechanics, such as string theory, may suggest modifications to the principle at extremely small scales.

5. How does the Einstein Equivalence Principle impact our understanding of the universe?

The Einstein Equivalence Principle is crucial in our understanding of the universe, as it forms the basis of general relativity, which is the most accurate and comprehensive theory of gravity to date. This principle also helps us understand the behavior of massive objects, such as black holes and galaxies, and has been used to make predictions about the structure and evolution of the universe.