Binomial Coefficient of a Prime Power

In summary, the problem is to prove that for a prime p, positive integer k, and m choosing from the set {1, 2, ..., pk-1}, p divides the binomial coefficient \binom{p^k}{m} without using Lucas' theorem. By counting the number of factors of p in the numerator and denominator of the coefficient and using geometric series, it can be shown that p divides the coefficient.
MissMoneypenny

Homework Statement

Let p be a prime, k be positive integer, and m ∈ {1, 2, 3, ..., pk-1}. Without using Lucas' theorem, prove that p divides [itex]\binom{p^k}{m}[/itex].

Homework Equations

The definition of the binomial coefficients: [itex]\binom{a}{b} = \frac{a!}{b! (a-b)!}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've managed to prove the statement when k=1 by arguing that p must divide p! but cannot possible divide m!(p-m)!. I figure I should be able to use a similar counting argument for this proof, likely by counting the number of factors of p that appear in the numerator and in the denominator of [itex]\binom{p^k}{m}[/itex]. It looks to me as though the number of factors of p in [itex]p^k ![/itex] is [itex]\sum_{i=1}^{k} p^{k-i}[/itex]. However, I'm having applying this to the problem. If anyone could give some advice on how to do so, or perhaps nudge me in the direction of a different proof it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That counting argument should work. You can can find a similar formula for m! and (pk-m)! and try to evaluate the difference.

Or directly consider the fraction as
$$\frac{p^k \cdot (p^k-1) \cdot \dots}{m! \cdot (m-1)! \cdot \dots}$$ and try to find matching factors there. Hmm... induction over m?

Thanks for the help. I followed your advice and worked out similar formulas for m! and for (pk-m)!, and managed to prove the result by bounding the difference using geometric series. I appreciate your comment, it gave me the little push in the right direction that I needed.

1. What is the binomial coefficient of a prime power?

The binomial coefficient of a prime power is a mathematical expression that represents the number of ways to choose a subset of size k from a set of size n, where n is a prime number raised to a power. It is denoted by the symbol (n choose k) or nCk.

2. How is the binomial coefficient of a prime power calculated?

The binomial coefficient of a prime power can be calculated using the formula (n choose k) = n!/k!(n-k)!, where n! represents the factorial of n. For example, if n = 5 and k = 2, then the binomial coefficient would be (5 choose 2) = 5!/2!(5-2)! = 10

3. What is the significance of the binomial coefficient of a prime power in mathematics?

The binomial coefficient of a prime power has various applications in combinatorics, probability, and number theory. It can be used to calculate the probability of certain events, to determine the coefficients in a binomial expansion, and to solve problems related to combinations and permutations.

4. Can the binomial coefficient of a prime power be a non-integer value?

No, the binomial coefficient of a prime power is always an integer value. This is because it represents the number of possible combinations, which cannot have a fractional value.

5. How does the binomial coefficient of a prime power relate to Pascal's Triangle?

The binomial coefficient of a prime power is closely related to Pascal's Triangle, which is a triangular array of numbers where each row represents the coefficients in the expansion of (a+b)^n. The entries in Pascal's Triangle are the binomial coefficients of a prime power.