Understanding the First Dimension: Exploring the Unknown

• B
  • Thread starter Spacepantz86
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dimension
In summary, the concept of dimensions can be difficult to understand and may not make intuitive sense. A point has zero dimensions and is different from a line, which has one dimension. A line can be thought of as a very short line, but a point has no length at all. Similarly, in the world of integers, zero is unique and encompasses everything, while one refers to a specific quantity. In the context of 2D objects, they are elements of 2D space and do not necessarily "belong" in the second dimension. It is also worth noting that the dimensions we use are a mathematical concept and can be described in different coordinate systems. In three-dimensional space, three numbers are needed to describe the position of a point
Spacepantz86
I do not understand the principle, to me it would make more sense if there was no line, there is nothing.

The best way I can think of it would be, the first dimension is the observer, or nothing.

I really don't know, its just this way makes more sense in my head, though I am lacking any knowledge of physics really.

Sorry about my ignorance, just wanting to learn :)
dimensions 1.0.jpg
dimensions 2.0.jpg

Attachments

• dimensions 1.0.jpg
    dimensions 1.0.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 857
  • dimensions 2.0.jpg
    dimensions 2.0.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 800
Physics news on Phys.org
A point has zero dimension, a line has one dimension, a surface has two dimensions etc.

Still does not make sense sorry, A point is just a very very short line, I do not understand how they can be seperate?

Spacepantz86 said:
A point is just a very very short line

No it's not. A point is a point and a line is an infinite set of points. A point has zero length.

I get the explanation, and understand it, but it just won't work in my head.

To the observer, whether it is a line or shape won't matter, its in the 2nd dimension and can only be view in the second dimension. Just like a set of construction plans.

Yeah I don't get, how 2 2d things can have separate dimensions, when they are both two dimensional, belonging in the second dimension.

Spacepantz86 said:
I feel your pain. The thing about these ideas is that they are not intuitive. What Mathematicians call a point has no size. Take a very short line - then shorter and shorter but it still has some length. A point has no length so it's a different beast altogether.
This may be easier to understand in the world of Integers. Have 100 cans of beans and start removing them, one by one. There will be some cans there until the time you take the last can away and then there are NO cans in the box - same as there are no elephants, no people, no nails , no anything. The "Zero-ness' covers everything, whereas the 'one-ness' of a single can or a single grain of sand only refers to cans or grains. Zero is special. So Zero Dimensions is not the same as something very short.

Likes Asymptotic
Spacepantz86 said:
Then you don't really understand the explanation.

Spacepantz86 said:
To the observer, whether it is a line or shape won't matter, its in the 2nd dimension and can only be view in the second dimension. Just like a set of construction plans.
You might be thinking of a line (one-dimensional) drawn on a piece of paper (essentially two-dimensional if we ignore the fact that the paper has thickness along a third dimension).

If you put a pencil on the line and stay on the line, you can go in only two directions, forward or backward along the line. The motion of the pencil is one-dimensional. If you move the pencil off the line, now it is going off in a completely different direction.

Spacepantz86 said:
Yeah I don't get, how 2 2d things can have separate dimensions, when they are both two dimensional, belonging in the second dimension.
The don't "belong" in "the" second dimension. Two-D objects are elements of two-dimensional space. I brick and a cardboard box are three-dimensional objects. They both have length, width, and depth. The three dimensions aren't really separate on the two objects.

It's worth pointing out that nothing we see or feel has less than three dimensions. The dimensions are a mathematical idea. Also, the 'dimensions' we use, don't need to be described with the xyz co ordinates we are familiar with. The dimensions can be described using other co ordinates e.g. polar co ordinates. ('Other co ordinates are available'). But you always need three numbers to describe the position of a point in 3D space.

1. What is the first dimension?

The first dimension is a theoretical concept in mathematics and physics that refers to the most basic unit of space. It is often represented as a straight line and has only one dimension, length.

2. How is the first dimension different from other dimensions?

The first dimension is different from other dimensions because it only has one dimension, while higher dimensions have additional dimensions such as width, depth, and time. It is also considered the most fundamental dimension and serves as the building block for higher dimensions.

3. Can we perceive the first dimension?

No, we cannot directly perceive the first dimension. Our human senses are limited to perceiving three dimensions (length, width, and depth) and time. However, we can use mathematical models and scientific theories to understand and explore the first dimension.

4. How does the first dimension relate to other scientific concepts?

The first dimension is closely related to other scientific concepts such as geometry, vectors, and quantum mechanics. It is also a fundamental concept in understanding the structure of the universe and the behavior of subatomic particles.

5. How is the first dimension relevant in our daily lives?

The first dimension may not seem directly relevant in our daily lives, but it is the basis for many practical applications such as measuring distance, calculating speed and time, and designing structures. It also plays a crucial role in fields such as engineering, architecture, and computer graphics.