Understanding the Image output in Frequency Domain

In summary,Images can be analyzed using Fourier transforms to determine their frequencies and amplitude.
XuFyaN
I need help understanding how frequencies are distributed when taking the FFT of an Image and how can i determine those frequencies, I really need a detailed and easy tutorial with practical example to understand it.

When we take the FFT of a Sine/Cos wave we can easily see its frequencies in FFT, here is my example i added comments in detail to understand,

Code:
%Matlab Code,

f=1e3;   %Frequency of Wave -> 1KHz
A=4;    %Amplitude
Fs = 1e6;  %Sampling Frequency
Ts = 1/Fs;   %Sampling Rate
t = 10/f;       %Time period of 10 Oscillation
n = 0:Ts:t;  %Generating Samples
% (1/f)/T = 1000 %Length for 1 Oscillation after Sampling
% So Length of the Signal for 10 Oscillations is 10,000
x=A*sin(2*pi*f*n);
subplot(2,1 ,1);
plot(n,x);
% 100,000/10,000 = 100Hz <- First point = 100Hz
% 2nd Point = 200Hz
% 3rd Point = 300Hz
% 4th Point = 400Hz
% .
% .
% 10th Point = 1KHz <- Original Signal Frequency
subplot(2,1 ,2);
F=fft(x);
plot(2*abs(F)./(t/Ts));
xlim ([0 100])    % 0 = 100 , 1 = 200...10=1000...100 = 10,000
set(gca, 'XTickLabel', ((get(gca,'XTick')))*100)
xlabel ('Frequency in Hz')

and here is the output image,
untitled.jpg

See how easily I can see the frequency of actual signal in Frequency domain, this is because i knew that the original frequency was 1KHz.

but in case of Images, what are the frequencies ?

here is the simple code,

Code:
image = [0 0 0 0 1 1 1 1]
The above discrete signal has 8 points so N = 8 How can i determine the frequencies and amplitude of this signal ? just like i did above for Sine wave

If i take its FFT and display it ,

Code:
f = fft2(image) 
imshow(fftshift(f)); % plotting

Untitled.png

it is nothing but 3-colors the middle one is white. (as expected)
I've no idea what does that output mean , how could i understand what are the frequencies in the image from this output ?

Can somebody explain me just one example of image FFT and how to determine the frequency etc like i did above in case of Sine wave?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
your output image isn't showing

Dave

davenn said:
your output image isn't showing

Dave

here they are,

http://s7.postimage.org/bprquwfuh/untitled.jpg

http://s15.postimage.org/qshnzwfnt/Untitled.png

are they visible now ?

What is the frequency domain?

The frequency domain is a mathematical representation of a signal or image that shows the frequency components that make up the signal. It represents the signal in terms of amplitude and frequency instead of time.

Why is understanding the frequency domain important?

Understanding the frequency domain allows us to analyze and manipulate signals and images in a more efficient and accurate manner. It helps us identify specific frequencies that may be causing noise or other issues in the signal, and allows us to apply filters and other techniques to improve the quality of the signal.

What information can we gather from the frequency domain?

The frequency domain provides information about the strength and location of different frequencies within a signal or image. It also allows us to identify periodic patterns and trends that may not be apparent in the time domain.

How is the frequency domain related to the Fourier transform?

The Fourier transform is a mathematical tool used to convert a signal from the time domain to the frequency domain. It decomposes a signal into its individual frequency components, allowing us to analyze and manipulate the signal in a different domain.

What are some common applications of understanding the image output in frequency domain?

Some common applications include image processing, signal filtering, and data compression. Understanding the frequency domain can also be helpful in fields such as audio and video processing, medical imaging, and telecommunications.