Understanding the Law of Iterated Expectation in Probability Derivations

In summary, the conversation is about a derivation involving the law of iterated expectation. The question asked is about the expected number of flips for a coin to achieve a certain number of consecutive heads. The website provides a clear explanation and the link is provided. The conversation also includes a clarification of the setting and the variables involved. The confusion is resolved by applying the law of iterated expectation.
member 428835
I'm reading a website where they're doing a derivation. Within the derivation they write $$E(X_n | X_{n-1}) = X_{n-1} + f \implies E(X_n) = E(X_{n-1} ) + f$$. Evidently the implication stems from the law of iterated expectation, but I can't see how. If it helps, the question asked is "what is the expected number of flips for a coin to achieve ##n## consecutive heads.

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you tell me more detail on the setting ? What are E, X_n and X_n|Xn-1 ?

anuttarasammyak said:
Could you tell me more detail on the setting ? What are E, X_n and X_n|Xn-1 ?
Sorry, I realize I didn't explain this well. Rather than retype everything, and since the website is very clear, perhaps the link is easier? It's here. I'm wondering how they applied the law of iterated expectation to arrive from equation 3 to 4.

We are given ## E(X_n | X_{n-1}) = X_{n-1} + f ##.
Take the expected value of both sides: ## E \left [ E(X_n | X_{n-1}) \right ] = E \left [ X_{n-1} + f \right ] ##.
From the law of iterated expectation we have ## E \left [ E(X_n | X_{n-1}) \right ] = E \left [ X_n \right ] ##.

Likes member 428835
pbuk said:
We are given ## E(X_n | X_{n-1}) = X_{n-1} + f ##.
Take the expected value of both sides: ## E \left [ E(X_n | X_{n-1}) \right ] = E \left [ X_{n-1} + f \right ] ##.
From the law of iterated expectation we have ## E \left [ E(X_n | X_{n-1}) \right ] = E \left [ X_n \right ] ##.
Wow, I feel like a moron. Can we just say I was exhausted and that's why I was confused? Sheesh...thanks though!

What is the Law of iterated expectation?

The Law of iterated expectation is a fundamental concept in probability theory that states that the expected value of a random variable can be calculated by taking the average of its conditional expected values. In other words, it is the expected value of an expected value.

How is the Law of iterated expectation used in statistics?

The Law of iterated expectation is used in statistics to calculate the expected value of a random variable in a more efficient way. It is also used to prove other important theorems in probability theory, such as the Law of total expectation and the Law of total variance.

What is the difference between the Law of iterated expectation and the Law of total expectation?

While the Law of iterated expectation calculates the expected value of a random variable by taking the average of its conditional expected values, the Law of total expectation calculates the expected value of a random variable by considering all possible outcomes and their probabilities.

Can the Law of iterated expectation be applied to any random variable?

Yes, the Law of iterated expectation can be applied to any random variable, as long as its expected value exists. However, it is most commonly used for discrete random variables.

What are some real-world applications of the Law of iterated expectation?

The Law of iterated expectation has many applications in fields such as finance, economics, and engineering. It is used to model and analyze various phenomena, such as stock prices, economic growth, and signal processing. It is also used in machine learning and data analysis to make predictions based on past data.