Understanding the Mass-Length Relation: Solving for V in Simple Equation

In summary: I'm not sure what unit I should be using in this equation. I was thinking in natural units, but now I'm not sure.
Safinaz
Homework Statement
How to get the length in this eqution in the right unit
Relevant Equations
## M_p^2 = M^3_s V ##
Hello,

If i have this relation:

## M_p^2 = M^3_s V ##

where ##M_p ## and ##M_s ## are masses in GeV and V is a length. Let ## M_p = 10^{18} ~ ## GeV and ##M_s = 10^3 ## GeV , what is V in meters ?

My solution :

The equation becomes

## V = 10^{30}## GeV , but ## 1 m \sim 10^{15} ~ GeV^{-1} ## or ## 1 m^{-1} \sim 10^{-15} ~ GeV ##

which means ## V = \frac{10^{30} ~ GeV. m^{-1}}{10^{-15} ~ GeV} = 10^{45} ~ m^{-1} ## ! is there any wrong here?? Cause V is so large , and also i want it in meters not ## m^{-1} ##Any help is appreciated!
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
V has dimension of ##E^{-1}##.

Likes Delta2
Your math is off. ##V## must have energy units of inverse energy for your initial relation to make sense.

Likes Delta2
anuttarasammyak said:
V has dimension of ##E^{-1}##

If like in this case ## M_s = 1000 ## GeV and ## M_p = 10^{18} ## GeV, ( ## M_s ## is much less than ## M_p ## ) . This means this equation should be rewritten to add some factor of dimensions ## GeV^{-2} ##. Then the equation become:

## M_p^2 = \frac{1}{g^2} M^3_s V ## But according to this paper

https://inspirehep.net/files/da3f5a4d325281183a9b6134ad7c7dce

g is dimensionless cause it's a gauge coupling. So I don't get how in this paper after equation : ( 2.1 ) he got ## V = 10^8 ## km.

Last edited:
Safinaz said:
Homework Statement:: How to get the length in this equation in the right unit
Relevant Equations:: ## M_p^2 = M^3_s V ##

Hello,

If i have this relation:

## M_p^2 = M^3_s V ##

where ##M_p ## and ##M_s ## are masses in GeV and V is a length. Let ## M_p = 10^{18} ~ ## GeV and ##M_s = 10^3 ## GeV , what is V in meters ?

My solution :

The equation becomes

## V = 10^{30}## GeV , but ## 1 m \sim 10^{15} ~ GeV^{-1} ## or ## 1 m^{-1} \sim 10^{-15} ~ GeV ##

which means ## V = \frac{10^{30} ~ GeV. m^{-1}}{10^{-15} ~ GeV} = 10^{45} ~ m^{-1} ## ! is there any wrong here?? Cause V is so large , and also i want it in meters not ## m^{-1} ##Any help is appreciated!
Thanks!
I guess you are using natural units, i.e. taking ℏ = c = 1. (If this is correct, it would have been helpful if you had stated this explicitly.)

##V = \frac {M_p^2 }{M^3_s} = \frac {(10^{18} GeV)^2 }{(10^3 GeV)^3} = \frac {10^{36} GeV^2}{
10^9 GeV^3} = 10^{27} GeV^{-1}##

A length of ##1GeV^{-1}## in natural units ≈ 0.2 fm (=0.2x10⁻¹⁵ m) in SI units.

So, for the final step, you can now convert ##10^{27} GeV^{-1}## to metres.

(Edited, as original version included the final step - which meant you had nothing to do for yourself!)

Last edited:
Likes Safinaz
Steve4Physics said:
I guess you are using natural units, i.e. taking ℏ = c = 1. (If this is correct, it would have been helpful if you had stated this explicitly.)

##V = \frac {M_p^2 }{M^3_s} = \frac {(10^{18} GeV)^2 }{(10^3 GeV)^3} = \frac {10^{36} GeV^2}{
10^9 GeV^3} = 10^{27} GeV^{-1}##

A length of ##1GeV^{-1}## in natural units ≈ 0.2 fm (=0.2x10⁻¹⁵ m) in SI units.

So, for the final step, you can now convert ##10^{27} GeV^{-1}## to metres.

(Edited, as original version included the final step - which meant you had nothing to do for yourself!)
Thanks! That's very helpful.. It seems I'm just confused.

1. What is the mass-length relation and why is it important in science?

The mass-length relation is a fundamental concept in physics that describes the relationship between an object's mass and its length. It is important in science because it helps us understand the physical properties and behavior of objects, and allows us to make predictions and calculations based on this relationship.

2. How is the mass-length relation calculated?

The mass-length relation is typically calculated using the formula m = ρV, where m is the mass of the object, ρ is the density of the material, and V is the volume of the object. This formula can be rearranged to solve for V, giving us the simple equation V = m/ρ.

3. Can the mass-length relation be applied to all objects?

Yes, the mass-length relation can be applied to all objects, regardless of their shape or size. However, the accuracy of the calculation may vary depending on the object's density and the precision of the measurements.

4. What are some real-world applications of the mass-length relation?

The mass-length relation has many real-world applications, including determining the weight of an object based on its dimensions, calculating the volume of a solid object, and understanding the buoyancy of objects in fluids. It is also used in fields such as engineering, architecture, and materials science.

5. How does the mass-length relation relate to other fundamental concepts in physics?

The mass-length relation is closely related to other fundamental concepts in physics, such as density, volume, and mass. It also plays a role in other laws and principles, such as Archimedes' principle and the law of conservation of mass. Understanding the mass-length relation is essential for understanding many other physical phenomena.