Understanding the Nomenclature of Antisymmetry in Basic Tensor Equations

• Thread starter S. Moger
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tensor
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of tensors and the confusion surrounding the nomenclature, particularly with regards to antisymmetry. The conversation then focuses on a homework problem involving the constant k in the equation A_{ij} = k \epsilon_{ijk} a_k and discusses how to determine the value of k in order to fulfill the equation A_{ij} A_{ij} = |\vec{a}|^2 . The correct answer is found by considering the nonzero terms in the sum and realizing that there is only one k for each pair of (i,j), leading to the conclusion that A_{ij}A_{ij} = K c^2 \sum_{k=1}^3 a_k^2 with a
S. Moger
I'm new to working with tensors, and feel a bit uneasy about the nomenclature. I picture words like antisymmetry in terms of average random matrices where no symmetry can be found at all. However, if I understand it correctly, antisymmetry is a type of symmetry, but where signs are inverted. So with this nomenclature Reagan, in that famous joke, is right to label anticommunists as a type of communists. But, anyway that's just linguistic mishmash.

1. Homework Statement

[itex]A_{ij} = k \epsilon_{ijk} a_k[/itex]

k is a constant. [itex]\vec{a}[/itex] is a vector.

What must k be to fulfill [itex]A_{ij} A_{ij} = |\vec{a}|^2[/itex] ?

The Attempt at a Solution

The dual use of k also confuses me somewhat but from what I understand the only constant is the non-index k.

Is it correct to assume that [itex]\vec{a}[/itex] is taken to exist in three dimensions, from the use of the 3-index levi cevita?

[itex]A_{ij} A_{ij} = k \epsilon_{ijk} a_k \cdot k \epsilon_{ijk} a_k = k^2 \epsilon_{ijk} \epsilon_{ijk} a_k a_k = 6 k^2 a_k a_k[/itex]

So if k is [itex]\pm \frac{1}{\sqrt{6}}[/itex] it appears to fulfill the requirements, but this isn't the correct answer.

Likes Ray Vickson
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey, the first equality on the last equation you wrote violates the Einstein summation convention.

Ok,

Would this be a correction?

[itex]A_{ij} A_{ij} = k \epsilon_{ijk} a_k \cdot k \epsilon_{ijn} a_n [/itex]

Meaning I need to find [itex]\epsilon_{ijk} \epsilon_{ijn}[/itex]? It seems like [itex]n \neq k[/itex] terms amount to zero, because it implies that there's a duplicate index number in one of the levi-civitas, leaving only ones involving [itex]a_k^2[/itex]'s.

With an interpretation of k like this:
[itex]A_{ij} = k \sum_k \epsilon_{ijk} a_k[/itex]

I see I have double ij on both sides though, which may violate the summation convention still.

I know there's an identity that relates [itex]\epsilon_{ijk} \epsilon_{lmn}[/itex] to Kroneckers. And I can show that both sides are equal, but I don't understand how one would arrive at that equality by "brute force", i.e. what's the natural thought behind its derivation? I see that the positive contributions come from the permutations that return 1*1 (but not -1*-1 mysteriously enough - do they get redundant? edit: yes they seem to contribute a double) and that the negatives come from 1*(-1).

[itex]\epsilon_{ijk} \epsilon_{lmn}= \delta_{il} \delta_{jm} \delta_{kn} + \delta_{im} \delta_{jn} \delta_{kl} + \delta_{in} \delta_{jl} \delta_{km} - \delta_{im} \delta_{jl} \delta_{kn} - \delta_{il} \delta_{jn} \delta_{km}- \delta_{in} \delta_{jm} \delta_{kl}[/itex]

In the books they never explain how they construct the above in the first place. It's a kind of a jump. I mean it's possible to memorize it by using mnemonics (rotation of indices etc), but I would like to understand how to derive it from a blank piece of paper, or do I have to accept that the "wheel has been invented" on this matter?

One attempt I made at that was to list all levi civitas that return 1, i.e. : {(1,2,3), {2,3,1}, {3,1,2}), then to pair them with (i,j,k) and (l,m,n). So, with i=1, j=2, k=3 I looked up what a selection of l, m and n would have to be, for example 1=m, 2=n, 3=l. Another way would be to make some kind of truth table to make the levi civita - kronecker translation.

Last edited:
S. Moger said:
I'm new to working with tensors, and feel a bit uneasy about the nomenclature. I picture words like antisymmetry in terms of average random matrices where no symmetry can be found at all. However, if I understand it correctly, antisymmetry is a type of symmetry, but where signs are inverted. So with this nomenclature Reagan, in that famous joke, is right to label anticommunists as a type of communists. But, anyway that's just linguistic mishmash.

1. Homework Statement

The dual use of k also confuses me somewhat but from what I understand the only constant is the non-index k.

Is it correct to assume that [itex]\vec{a}[/itex] is taken to exist in three dimensions, from the use of the 3-index levi cevita?

[itex]A_{ij} A_{ij} = k \epsilon_{ijk} a_k \cdot k \epsilon_{ijk} a_k = k^2 \epsilon_{ijk} \epsilon_{ijk} a_k a_k = 6 k^2 a_k a_k[/itex]

So if k is [itex]\pm \frac{1}{\sqrt{6}}[/itex] it appears to fulfill the requirements, but this isn't the correct answer.

S. Moger said:

1. Homework Statement

Let's say ##A_{ij} = c \epsilon_{ijk} a_k##. Now ##\epsilon \neq 0## requires that ##i,j,k## all be different. Your quantity
[tex] A_{ij} A_{ij} = c^2 \sum_{i,j: i \neq j} \sum_{k,n} \epsilon_{ijk} \epsilon_{ijn} a_k a_n [/tex]
Nonzero terms in the sum need ##k \neq i,j## and ##n \neq i,j##, hence ##k = n##. That is,
[tex] A_{ij}A_{ij} = c^2 \sum_{i,j: i \neq j} \sum_{k: k \neq i,j} (\epsilon_{ijk})^2 a_k^2, [/tex]
and ##\epsilon^2 = 1## for the non-zero terms. For each pair ##(i,j)## there is only one ##k##, and as we vary the pair ##(i,j)## we sweep over all ##k = 1,2,3##. Furthermore, there will be an equal number of ##k=1##, ##k=2## and ##k=3## terms. Thus, we have ##A_{ij}A_{ij} = K c^2 \sum_{k=1}^3 a_k^2##, with a constant ##K## that is not too difficult to figure out.

Likes S. Moger
Thanks, it's a bit tricky, but I think I get this part now. It's probably a good idea to write it out in sums like you do, at least at the moment. I get K=2, which will lead the the correct result.

What is a tensor equation?

A tensor equation is a mathematical expression that describes the relationship between tensors, which are multi-dimensional arrays of numbers, and their corresponding operations.

What is the purpose of using tensor equations in science?

Tensor equations are used to describe physical phenomena in a concise and mathematically rigorous way. They are particularly useful in fields such as physics and engineering, where complex systems can be represented and analyzed using tensors.

What are the basic components of a tensor equation?

A tensor equation typically consists of tensors, indices, and operations. Tensors are represented by symbols, indices indicate the dimensions of the tensor, and operations such as addition, multiplication, and contraction are used to manipulate the tensors.

How are tensor equations different from regular algebraic equations?

Tensor equations involve multi-dimensional arrays of numbers, while regular algebraic equations typically involve one or two variables. Additionally, tensor equations follow specific rules and properties, such as the index contraction and transformation laws, that are unique to tensors.

What are some real-world applications of tensor equations?

Tensor equations are used in a variety of scientific and engineering fields, such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and general relativity. They are also commonly used in machine learning and computer graphics to represent and manipulate data in multi-dimensional space.