Understanding the Relationship Between c and c2 in the Famous Formula e = mc2

• B
  • Thread starter curiousat61
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Constant
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of c^2 and its relationship to the speed of light, which is a constant. The formula e=mc^2 is explained and it is clarified that c^2 is not a speed, but a scale factor relating units of mass to units of energy. The concept of adding velocities relativistically is also touched upon. It is concluded that c^2 cannot be equal to c, as they have different physical units.
curiousat61
I’m obviously looking at this the wrong way but…..with reference to the formula e = mc2 isn’t “c” (the speed of light) a constant? So if that is true doesn’t c2 (or any other multiple of c) equal c?

Physics news on Phys.org
##2## is a constant, but ##2^2## doesn't equal ##2##...

Edit: although you're right in natural units lol

Likes Grasshopper, russ_watters and Ibix
This is true but if I have 2 things I can add two more things and now have four things. In the case of light speed I cannot add multiples of light speed to get more light speed - the speed of light will always be the same. (I will not belabor this question - I know I am wrong. Just curious as to the answer)

If you have a 10m length at right angles to another 10m length that defines a 100m2 area. You have to multiply the units as well as the values.

So ##c^2## isn't a speed. What it actually is here is a scale factor relating our units of mass to our units of energy (which we thought were unrelated concepts pre-Einstein).

Likes russ_watters and etotheipi
##c## is just a number (with dimensions), and you can add, subtract, multiply, exponentiate, or otherwise do whatever you want to it.

If you have something moving at ##0.8c## with respect to something else, which is itself moving at ##0.8c## with respect to a third thing, you might reasonably ask what speed the first thing is going with respect to the third thing. Relativistically, this is given by the velocity addition formula, and it is not ##1.6c##.

But, that doesn't change the fact that ##0.8c + 0.8c = 1.6c##, that is still clearly true. It's just that the '+' operation is no longer the operation that represents adding two velocities relativistically.

Likes Delta2 and Dale
Thank you for the replies. I'm beginning to see the "light"...

• Haha
Likes Delta2, berkeman and etotheipi
curiousat61 said:
Thank you for the replies. I'm beginning to see the "light"...
##c^2## isn't a speed, it's a speed squared, and has different units. You cannot compare the two, because ##c## and ##c^2## have different physical units.

Something like ##c^2 = c, \ c^2 < c## or ##c^2 > c \ ## would all be physically meaningless.

Likes etotheipi
curiousat61 said:
I’m obviously looking at this the wrong way
Yes.
curiousat61 said:
…..with reference to the formula e = mc2 isn’t “c” (the speed of light) a constant? So if that is true doesn’t c2 (or any other multiple of c) equal c?
Maybe, you believe due to bad formatting and wrong interpreting of it, that the formula is ##e= mc *2##, but it means ##e=mc^2=m*c*c##.

curiousat61 said:
I’m obviously looking at this the wrong way but…..with reference to the formula e = mc2 isn’t “c” (the speed of light) a constant? So if that is true doesn’t c2 (or any other multiple of c) equal c?

It depends on your unit system. If you use geometric units where c=1 and c is dimensionless, then you could say c^2=c.

However, if you are using the standard SI units (meters, kilograms, seconds), c neither has a numerical value of 1, nor is it dimensionless.

1 foot does not equal 1 foot squared, they are different things. The same with c, in the usual unit system where it has dimensions.

2 does not equal 2^2, the only case where dimensionless numbers satisfy x^2=x is when x=1 or when x=0.

The square of a dimensionful quantity is never equal to the unsquared value, it is a units error.

Likes vanhees71

1. What does the "c" in the formula e = mc2 represent?

The "c" in the formula e = mc2 represents the speed of light in a vacuum, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second.

2. What does the "c2" in the formula e = mc2 stand for?

The "c2" in the formula e = mc2 represents the speed of light squared, which is a mathematical operation that involves multiplying the speed of light by itself.

3. How does the relationship between c and c2 impact the formula e = mc2?

The relationship between c and c2 is crucial in the formula e = mc2 because it allows for the conversion of mass into energy. The speed of light squared is a very large number, and when multiplied by the mass of an object, it results in a huge amount of energy.

4. Is the relationship between c and c2 a constant or does it vary?

The relationship between c and c2 is a constant, meaning that the speed of light in a vacuum and its square value remain the same regardless of the observer's frame of reference. This is a fundamental principle in the theory of relativity.

5. How does understanding the relationship between c and c2 contribute to scientific advancements?

Understanding the relationship between c and c2 has contributed to numerous scientific advancements, such as the development of nuclear energy and nuclear weapons. It has also helped scientists better understand the nature of matter and the universe as a whole.