Understanding the Residual Strong Force on Hadrons - Explained

In summary, the residual strong force arises due to the neutralization of color charge within hadrons, resulting in a weaker force between neutrons and protons. The average strong force between a neutron and proton is approximately 46N, with a maximum force potentially reaching thousands of Newtons. However, classical mechanics cannot accurately describe the behavior of particles at nuclear scales, and quantum mechanics must be used for calculations.
Garlic
Gold Member
Hello everyone,
Why does the residual strong force arise?
Hadrons carry no net color charge, so why are they experiencing the strong force?

Physics news on Phys.org
bapowell said:

"This same force is much weaker between neutrons and protons, because it is mostly neutralized within them, in the same way that electromagnetic forces between neutral atoms (van der Waals forces) are much weaker than the electromagnetic forces that hold the atoms internally together."

Thank you, this helps a lot.

The average strong force between a neutron and a proton is about 46kg.

kiwaho said:
The average strong force between a neutron and a proton is about 46kg.

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean. How can you show the force strength with a mass unit?

Garlic said:
I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean. How can you show the force strength with a mass unit?
OK, the said strong force should be 456N.

Last edited:
Or ~3 MeV/fm. What does "average" mean? Averaged over what? The order of magnitude is certainly right, but 456 N looks very specific.

Likes bcrowell
mfb said:
Or ~3 MeV/fm. What does "average" mean? Averaged over what? The order of magnitude is certainly right, but 456 N looks very specific.
The 456N is calculated from classical kinematic equation Work = Average_Forece*Distance.
I use the data of deuterium. The binding energy is 2.22456MeV, and given 1MeV= 1.602*10^(-13)J.
The Distance = 3 - 2.22 = 0.78fm, because after 3fm, the strong force is 0, and the 2.22fm is the minimum distance between neutron and proton in deuterium. When 2 particles are kissing together, their distance equals to the sum of their radii, and both radii of proton and neutron are officially given.
Now we have: the Work= 2.22456* 1.602*10^(-13)J = 0.78*10^(-15) *Average_Force.
So the Average_Force= 2.22456* 1.602*10^(-13)J/0.78*10^(-15) = 456N
The max force occurs while 2 hadrons kissing together, of course, it will be far greater than the Average_Force 456N.
If the strong force is reduced to 0 at 3fm linearly, then the max force = 2* Average_Force = 912N, but probably the attenuation is not by linear but by exponential, so the max force may be a couple of thousands Newtonian level.

kiwaho said:
after 3fm, the strong force is 0
This is not true.
kiwaho said:
and the 2.22fm is the minimum distance between neutron and proton in deuterium. When 2 particles are kissing together, their distance equals to the sum of their radii
And this is completely wrong.
Proton and neutron are not billard balls. Their wave functions overlap. And they don't have a well-defined boundary either. The radius value is usually the root mean square of something (charge, mass, or whatever).

mfb said:
This is not true.And this is completely wrong.
Proton and neutron are not billard balls. Their wave functions overlap. And they don't have a well-defined boundary either. The radius value is usually the root mean square of something (charge, mass, or whatever).
The specific weight of neutron is very very high, so it is the hardest matter in universe! do you think they can overlap concentrically?
Even the minimum distance is not the sum of their radii, the split distance may be doubled, that means the average force will be half of 456N, still in the same order of magnitude.

kiwaho said:
The specific weight of neutron is very very high, so it is the hardest matter in universe!
This is just nonsense.
kiwaho said:
do you think they can overlap concentrically?
I don't just "think" so, I work with the consequences of it (parton collisions at high energy) every day.
kiwaho said:
Even the minimum distance is not the sum of their radii, the split distance may be doubled, that means the average force will be half of 456N, still in the same order of magnitude.
This does not make sense.

As Orodruin and ZapperZ already told you here: quantum mechanics is not classical mechanics on a smaller scale, it is completely different.
Feel free to ask questions, but don't claim things that are simply wrong.

Likes e.bar.goum and bcrowell
mfb said:
This is just nonsense.I don't just "think" so, I work with the consequences of it (parton collisions at high energy) every day.This does not make sense.

As Orodruin and ZapperZ already told you here: quantum mechanics is not classical mechanics on a smaller scale, it is completely different.
I believe quantum mechanics QM is right. But for estimation, why not to hug classical theory occasionally? You know, QM only talks about potential or energy, but never quantitizes force although QM often talks about force.
Bohr calculated the radius of hydrogen atom by method of classical mechanics, even the controversial "classic radius of electron" 2.8fm has the same base.

kiwaho said:
But for estimation, why not to hug classical theory occasionally?

Classical mechanics is inappropriate to use at nuclear scales.

kiwaho said:
Bohr calculated the radius of hydrogen atom by method of classical mechanics

Yes, and he got the wrong answer by a factor of 3/2.

mfb said:

Exactly.

kiwaho said:
I believe quantum mechanics QM is right.
Then I suggest you learn quantum mechanics.
kiwaho said:
You know, QM only talks about potential or energy, but never quantitizes force although QM often talks about force.
You can calculate forces in quantum mechanics, but they are rarely single values, and rarely useful.
kiwaho said:
Bohr calculated the radius of hydrogen atom by method of classical mechanics
Not purely classical mechanics, he used something between classical mechanics and quantum theory. And he got it wrong, as V50 noted already.
kiwaho said:
even the controversial "classic radius of electron" 2.8fm has the same base.
And we know today this is not the electron radius. If it has a radius at all, it has to be much smaller.

Likes vanhees71

What is the residual strong force?

The residual strong force is a fundamental force in nature that binds quarks together to form hadrons, such as protons and neutrons. It is the strongest of the four fundamental forces, with a magnitude that is approximately 10,000 times greater than the force of gravity.

How does the residual strong force work?

The residual strong force is mediated by particles called gluons, which are exchanged between quarks. These gluons carry a color force that attracts quarks together, allowing them to form stable hadrons. The residual strong force also plays a role in nuclear binding, keeping the protons and neutrons together in the atomic nucleus.

Why is the residual strong force important?

The residual strong force is essential for the stability of matter. Without it, quarks would not be able to bind together to form protons and neutrons, and therefore, atoms and molecules would not exist. The residual strong force also plays a crucial role in nuclear reactions and the formation of heavy elements in stars.

How is the residual strong force different from the other fundamental forces?

The residual strong force is different from the other fundamental forces in several ways. It has a very short range, only acting on particles within the size of a proton. It is also the only force that can change the flavor of quarks (i.e. converting an up quark to a down quark). Additionally, the residual strong force is the only force that increases in strength as particles move further apart, which is why it binds quarks together so strongly.

Can the residual strong force be explained by a mathematical equation?

Yes, the residual strong force is described by a mathematical theory known as quantum chromodynamics (QCD). This theory uses equations to describe the interactions between quarks and gluons, and has been successful in predicting the behavior of hadrons and other subatomic particles.