Understanding the Science of Flash in Cameras: A Guide

In summary, the flash on a camera makes images brighter and the background darker. It is made up of white light rays and the intensity of light varies with distance from the source.
Celluhh

Homework Statement

how is flash created?

The Attempt at a Solution

flash makes images caught on a camera brighter and the background dark. why does this happen? what exactly is flash made up of? how do you explain the effects of flash?

Physics news on Phys.org
Celluhh said:

Homework Statement

how is flash created?

The Attempt at a Solution

flash makes images caught on a camera brighter and the background dark. why does this happen? what exactly is flash made up of? how do you explain the effects of flash?

Am I to assume you are referring to the flash on a camera?

yes.

Celluhh said:
yes.

What does it look like comes out of a flash?

white light rays?

Celluhh said:
white light rays?

Good.

Tell me about the intensity of light, and its variation over distance from the source.

Celluhh said:
white light rays?

Perhaps poor wording last time...
How does light intensity vary with distance?

the greater the distance, the weaker the light intensity?

Celluhh said:
the greater the distance, the weaker the light intensity?

Yes it is weaker - and weaker in a definite way.

If you stood in front of a wall in sunlight - and could ignore all the extra light bouncing of the environment - you would be 150000 km from the sun, and the wall might be 150000.01 km fro the sun.

With a flash camera, you might be 3m from the flash, while the same wall would be 13m from the flash.

What would that mean?EDIT: you better throw 3 more zeros in those "distance to the sun" figures! ie 150000000 km

Last edited:
hi, can you explain it in simpler terms, i get the first part, but not the last part?

Celluhh said:
hi, can you explain it in simpler terms, i get the first part, but not the last part?

If the background is twice as far away as the subject, it will receive only 1/4 the light intensity.
You camera, which tries to automatically adjust for the light, will have the subject showing brightly, while the background is dark.

If you have a digital camera with flash, try it.
Have someone stand 2m from the camera in the following situations.
(a) against a wall.
(b) 2m from the wall.
(c) 4m from the wall.

if the last part was the "add three more zeros" it as because I understated the distance to the sun.

ah, ok i get it now!thank you!

A secondary effect:

Because the subject is so brightly lit, the camera gets plenty of light for a properly exposed shot, and can stop down the exposure (higher f-stop, faster shutter). This mean the background, which might otherwise have been adequately lit, is now going to be very underexposed, i.e. black.

Much to the chagrin of many Moon hoaxers... :biggrin:

1. What is flash in cameras and how does it work?

Flash in cameras is a burst of bright light that is used to illuminate a scene. It typically consists of a small, built-in light or an external flash unit. When the shutter button is pressed, the flash emits a burst of light that helps to illuminate the subject, especially in low light conditions. This allows for a brighter and more evenly lit photo.

2. Why does my flash sometimes make my photos look too bright or washed out?

This is a common issue, known as overexposure, and it occurs when the flash is too powerful for the scene. It can also happen if the subject is too close to the flash. To avoid this, you can adjust the flash settings or use a diffuser to soften the light. You can also try angling the flash away from the subject or using a bounce card to redirect the light.

3. Can I control the intensity of the flash in my camera?

Yes, most cameras allow you to adjust the intensity of the flash. This can be done through the camera's settings or through an external flash unit. By adjusting the flash intensity, you can control the amount of light emitted and avoid overexposure or underexposure in your photos.

4. What is red-eye and how can I prevent it when using flash?

Red-eye is the phenomenon where a subject's eyes appear red in photos taken with flash. This happens because the light from the flash reflects off the back of the subject's eye, which contains blood vessels. To prevent red-eye, you can try using the red-eye reduction feature on your camera or have the subject look slightly away from the camera. You can also use an external flash unit that is positioned further away from the lens.

5. Are there any other types of flash besides the built-in flash on my camera?

Yes, there are external flash units that can be attached to your camera. These units are more powerful and versatile than built-in flashes, allowing for better control over the intensity and direction of the light. They can also be used off-camera, providing even more lighting options for your photos.