Understanding the Stress Induced in Cylindrical Nanowires: Equations 12-13

In summary, the speaker is struggling to find information on a piece of maths related to stress in a cylindrical shaped wire. They are specifically having trouble with equations 12 and 13 in an attached article and are unsure if they are standard equations. The other person suggests that they are using a derivation of Hooke's law in 3D for isotropic materials and provides a resource for further understanding. The speaker expresses gratitude for the information as they are not knowledgeable in this area.
StellenboschS
Hi,

I came across a piece of maths with which I am struggling to find info on. It has to do with the stress induces in a cylindrical shaped wire (nanowire to be precise).
The article where the maths appear is attached. The specific problem is in equations 12 through 13.

Thanks

Attachments

• Electrostatic Potential in a Bent Piezoelectric Nanowire. The Fundamental Theory of Nanogenerato.pdf
    198.8 KB · Views: 209
Engineering news on Phys.org
Can you be more specific about what you are not understanding in those equations?

I don't know how they derived it. Is it standard equations?

Great, thanks for that. Seeing as I am an electrical engineer, I know nothing of these things!

Related to Understanding the Stress Induced in Cylindrical Nanowires: Equations 12-13

1. What is the concept of bending in cylindrical wire?

Bending of cylindrical wire refers to the process of deforming a wire into a curved or angled shape. This can be achieved by applying force or pressure to the wire, causing it to bend or flex.

2. What factors influence the bending of cylindrical wire?

The bending of a cylindrical wire is influenced by several factors, including the wire's diameter, material properties, applied force, and the angle and direction of the bend.

3. What are the different methods used for bending cylindrical wire?

There are several methods for bending cylindrical wire, including hand bending, machine bending, and heat bending. Each method has its own advantages and is suitable for different applications.

4. What are the potential applications of bending cylindrical wire?

Bending of cylindrical wire is commonly used in various industries, such as construction, automotive, and electronics. It can be used to create complex shapes and structures, as well as to provide strength and support to different components.

5. Are there any limitations to bending cylindrical wire?

There are certain limitations to bending cylindrical wire, such as the maximum angle and radius of the bend that can be achieved without causing damage to the wire. Additionally, the material properties of the wire may also limit its flexibility and ability to bend without breaking.