Understanding Transformation Matrix Order for B and B'

In summary, when taking the transformation matrix from B to B', there is no requirement for the basis vectors to be ordered from highest to lowest degree. The matrix form of a linear transformation will depend on the specific vectors and their order, so it is important to specify the ordering of the basis vectors when working with polynomials as basis vectors.
liltyke115
I was just wondering that when we take P, the transformation matrix from B to B', does B and B' have to be ordered from the highest thing?

What I mean is that I have B = 1, 1+x, 3+4x+2x^2 When I do the actual transformation, must I order it and do 2x^2+4x+3 first?

Physics news on Phys.org
What are you talking about?

The highest "thing"? Is that some technical math term I don't know? I THINK you are talking about a vector space of polynomials with given polynomials as basis vectors. There is no requirement that the polynomials be in order of increasing or decreasing degree. In fact, for most vector spaces, there is no "natural" way of ordering vectors. The matrix form of a linear transformation WILL depend one the basis: both on the specific vectors and the order. So be sure that you specify how you are ordering the basis vectors.

Related to Understanding Transformation Matrix Order for B and B'

1. What is a transformation matrix?

A transformation matrix is a mathematical representation of a geometric transformation in a specific coordinate system. It is used to describe the translation, rotation, scaling, and shearing of an object in a graphical representation.

2. What is the significance of the order of matrices in a transformation?

The order of matrices in a transformation is crucial because it determines the final result of the transformation. The order in which the matrices are multiplied affects the outcome of the transformation, and changing the order can result in a completely different transformation.

3. How does the order of matrices in a transformation affect the object?

The order of matrices in a transformation affects the object by changing its position, orientation, and size. The order of matrices determines the sequence of transformations applied to an object, and each transformation can alter the object's properties.

4. What is the difference between B and B' in the transformation matrix order?

B and B' represent different coordinate systems in the transformation matrix order. B is the original coordinate system, while B' is the transformed coordinate system. The transformation matrix converts coordinates from B to B', determining how the object moves and changes in the new coordinate system.

5. How can understanding transformation matrix order be beneficial?

Understanding transformation matrix order is beneficial for creating and manipulating 3D graphics, animations, and simulations. It allows for precise control over the transformation of objects and helps to avoid errors and unexpected outcomes in the final result.