Understanding Vectors: Homework Help and Tips for Solving Vector Problems

In summary: U-3Vsee attachment for 3)'An airplane pilor needs to fly to a point 1800 km due east in a time of 6.0 hours. If a steady wind is blowing at 60 km/h from due south towards due north, calculate the velocity of the plane relative to the air (specifying both magnitude and direction) needed to achieve the pilot's objective. 'Since the airplane is moving in a direction and magnitude that is opposite to the wind, the magnitude of the velocity of the plane must be negative.
Mike_Winegar
I have been having a really rough time on my 3 homework problems tonight...I don't really understand vectors, so any help would be appreciated!

Sorry about the no LaTeX, I don't know how to do the vector sign:confused:

Anyway...

1.Given the Vectors U=2i(hat)-3j(hat)= <2,-3> and
V=-i(hat)+4j(hat)= <-1,4>, find:
a. U+V
b. 2U-3V
c. [tex]|V-U|[/tex]

2.Draw a sketch to find each of the following graphically. (P and Q are in the attachment)
a. P+Q
b. P-3Q
c. -4P+4Q

On this one, my friend told me just to basically draw a triangle for each one of the problems, and the added third line to complete the triangle would equal the resultant vector. Is this right?

3.An airplane pilor needs to fly to a point 1800 km due east in a time of 6.0 hours. If a steady wind is blowing at 60 km/h from due south towards due north, calculate the velocity of the plane relative to the air (specifying both magnitude and direction) needed to achieve the pilot's objective.

I don't really know how side-winds affect flying objects being propelled at those speeds, some explanation on that would be appreciated to help solve the problem.

Thanks for your time taken for the help!

Attachments

• Vectors for Question 2.JPG
    Vectors for Question 2.JPG
    2.2 KB · Views: 478
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For the first one, change it matrices form which makes it easier to calculate and you simply and them or subtract them like you would with normal matrices.

Second, yes that would work. Make sure you've got the direction arrows right though.

Third, try resolving it in terms of vertical and horizontal. Basicaly, draw a diagram, that always work.

[tex]U = 2 \hat{i} - 3\hat{j}[/tex]

[tex]V = -1\hat{i} + 4\hat{j}[/tex]

a) [tex]U + V = 1\hat{i} + 1\hat{j}[/tex]

see attachment for b)

Last edited:
'I don't really know how side-winds affect flying objects being propelled at those speeds, some explanation on that would be appreciated to help solve the problem. '

If your objective is due East, in what direction do you travel to get to that destination if a sidewind is trying to push you Northwards? If you just travel due East you will end up North of your destination...

Lets say that the airplane is flying along vector [tex]\vec{v_a}[/tex] and the wind is blowing along the vector [tex]\vec{v_w}[/tex] and his objective is to fly along [tex]\vec{v_o}[/tex]. Then

[tex]\vec{V_o} = \vec{V_a} + \vec{V_w} [/tex]

and since we know the magnitude and direction of the objective and wind vectors we require

[tex]\vec{V_a} = \vec{V_o} - \vec{V_w} [/tex]

By the way, when you are flying, you are being supported by the air and must move as the air moves. It is not as if "a sidewind is trying to push you" in the same since that a strong wind might "try to push you" while you are walking on the sidewalk. It is like a toy car rolling across a table while the table is being carried to the side.

That's why the velocity of the wind is added to the velocity of the airplane.

Related to Understanding Vectors: Homework Help and Tips for Solving Vector Problems

What are vectors and why are they important in science?

Vectors are mathematical quantities that represent both magnitude (size or length) and direction. They are important in science because many physical quantities, such as force, velocity, and electric fields, are described using vectors. Vectors allow us to accurately describe and analyze the motion and interactions of objects in the physical world.

How do I add and subtract vectors?

To add or subtract vectors, you must first break them down into their components, which are the individual parts of the vector in the x, y, and z directions. You can then add or subtract the components separately to find the resulting vector. Alternatively, you can use the head-to-tail method, where you place the tail of one vector at the head of the other and draw a new vector from the tail of the first to the head of the second.

What is the difference between scalar and vector quantities?

Scalar quantities only have magnitude, while vector quantities have both magnitude and direction. For example, speed is a scalar quantity because it only tells us how fast an object is moving, but velocity is a vector quantity because it tells us both the speed and direction of motion.

How do I find the magnitude and direction of a vector?

To find the magnitude of a vector, you can use the Pythagorean theorem to calculate the length of the vector. To find the direction of a vector, you can use trigonometric functions to determine the angle between the vector and a reference axis, such as the x-axis.

What are some common applications of vectors in science?

Vectors are used in many areas of science, including physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They are used to describe forces and motion, such as in projectile motion and circular motion. They are also used in circuit analysis, fluid mechanics, and in creating 3D models and animations.