Understanding Virialized Dark Matter Halos in Galaxy Formation

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of virialized halos in relation to galaxy formation. It is explained that virialized halos follow the virial theorem, but this may not always be accurate for real systems. It is also mentioned that the virial theorem is a useful approximation for making math tractable. A resource is suggested for further reading on the topic.
shadishacker
Dear all,

I am new in the field of galaxy formation, so I am sorry if my questions are a bit simple.
-what does virialized halo mean? does it mean they obey the virial theorem concerning their kinetic and potential energy?
\begin{equation} 2<T>=n<V> \end{equation}
-Why should the halos be like this to merge and make galaxies?
-do you know any introductory book I could use in this?

Space news on Phys.org
Yes, it means they obey the virial theorem. It's expected that a self-gravitating gas cloud should relax into a state where it follows the virial theorem as it reaches equilibrium. However, it's known that the virial theorem frequently is inaccurate for real systems. For example, if a pair of galaxies have recently collided to form one larger galaxy, the resulting galaxy will not be very close to following the virial theorem for some time. It's a very useful approximation to make the math tractable, but not always accurate.

Likes shadishacker
Is there any introductory book or paper that I can read about this?

1. What is a virialized dark matter halo?

A virialized dark matter halo refers to the distribution of dark matter particles surrounding a galaxy or galaxy cluster. These halos are held together by the gravitational pull of the dark matter, and are believed to play a crucial role in the formation and evolution of galaxies.

2. How do we detect virialized dark matter halos?

Virialized dark matter halos cannot be directly observed, as dark matter does not interact with light. Instead, scientists use indirect methods such as gravitational lensing, galaxy rotation curves, and simulations to study the properties and distribution of dark matter halos.

3. What is the relationship between virialized dark matter halos and visible matter?

Dark matter halos are typically much larger and more massive than the visible matter they surround. The distribution of dark matter in a halo can influence the movement and evolution of visible matter, such as stars and gas, within a galaxy or galaxy cluster.

4. Can we determine the mass of a virialized dark matter halo?

Yes, scientists can estimate the mass of a virialized dark matter halo by studying the dynamics of visible matter within it. By measuring the velocity of stars or gas within a galaxy, for example, they can infer the gravitational pull of the dark matter halo and calculate its mass.

5. What is the significance of studying virialized dark matter halos?

Studying virialized dark matter halos can provide valuable insights into the nature of dark matter and its role in the formation and evolution of galaxies. It also helps us understand the structure and dynamics of the universe on large scales and test theories of gravity and cosmology.