Understanding Why ln(x) and e Cancel Out

So, e to the power of ln(2x+3) is the same as raising e to the power of the power you have to raise e to to get 2x + 3. This results in eln(2x+3) simplifying to just 2x + 3.
Peter G.
Hi,

I have a hard time understanding why ln (x) and e cancel out, when, for example, we have something like: eln(2x+3)

I tried an internet search but I did not get any good explanation, just statements of the rule.

Could anyone help me please?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Peter G. said:
Hi,

I have a hard time understanding why ln (x) and e cancel out, when, for example, we have something like: eln(2x+3)

I tried an internet search but I did not get any good explanation, just statements of the rule.

Thanks!

I don't like to say they "cancel out", but nevermind that. Here's one way to look at it. Say you have an equation like$$
y = e^{\ln f(x)}$$and you are wondering why ##y = f(x)##. Just take the natural log of your original equation:$$
\ln y = \ln(e^{\ln f(x)})=\ln f(x) \ln e = \ln f(x)\cdot 1$$Since ##y## and ##f(x)## have equal logs, they are equal.

Last edited:
How are these functions "[itex]e^x[/itex]" and "ln(x)" defined in your class? There are several way do define "[itex]e^x[/itex]" and several different ways to define "l(x)" but which every definition of one of those is used, typically, the other is defined as its inverse function. Do you know the concept of "inverse functions"? f and g are inverse functions if and only if f(g(x))= x and g(f(x))= x. That is, the functions "cancel" each other.

If you do not understand that, before we can explain futher, we will need to know what definitions you are working with.

Peter G. said:
Hi,

Thanks!

e^x and ln(x) are inverse functions to each other.

Another way to say that is that ln(x) is the power you'd have to raise e to in order to get x. But then we go ahead and raise e to that power ... so we get x.

In other words, eln(x) = x.

Any of that correspond to what you were shown in class?

Do you know how other logs work? Like log10? You can have a loga where "a" is any number. Now, Log2(8)=3 because log2(8) means 2 to the what equals 8? Well we know it is 23=8.

Now, ln is really loge. What happens if we take loge(ex)? This means e to the what equals ex. Well, x of course. That's why ln(ex) equals x.(expanding on what Steve said)

Thanks everyone! Sorry for not providing enough information at first but, studying all your responses I managed to understand.

Peter G. said:
Hi,

Thanks!

The definition of the natural log ln of a number is the power that you have to raise e to in order to get that number. Therefore, ln(2x+3) is the power you have to raise e to to get 2x + 3. But in your expression, e is actually being raised to that power.

Related to Understanding Why ln(x) and e Cancel Out

1. What is the relationship between ln(x) and e?

The natural logarithm function, ln(x), and the base of the natural logarithm, e, are inverse functions of each other. This means that when ln(x) and e are used together, they cancel out and leave the input value x.

2. Why do ln(x) and e cancel out?

This is because ln(x) is the logarithm base e, meaning it is the power to which e must be raised to equal x. So when ln(x) and e are used together, they essentially cancel each other out and leave the input value x.

3. How can I understand why ln(x) and e cancel out?

One way to understand this is by visualizing the graph of ln(x) and e. The graph of ln(x) is a curve that approaches the x-axis as x approaches 0, while the graph of e is a curve that approaches the y-axis as x approaches 0. When these two curves intersect, they cancel out and leave the input value x.

4. What is the practical use of understanding why ln(x) and e cancel out?

Understanding why ln(x) and e cancel out can be useful in solving exponential and logarithmic equations, as well as in calculus and other areas of mathematics where these functions are commonly used.

5. Are there any exceptions to ln(x) and e canceling out?

Yes, there are exceptions when the input value x is equal to 1. In this case, ln(1) is equal to 0 and e^0 is equal to 1, so ln(x) and e do not cancel out. Additionally, if the input value x is negative, the natural logarithm function is undefined and therefore cannot be canceled out by e.