Understanding Work and Energy: Solving a Physics Problem with a Spring

In summary: But I'm not sure, since I don't have all the details of your class. But perhaps this will help you get started.In summary, the conversation centers around a problem involving a 2.00 kg block attached to a spring and pulled to the right before being released. The first question asks for the speed of the block as it passes through equilibrium on a frictionless surface, while the second question introduces friction and asks for the speed as it passes through equilibrium for the first time. The main point of confusion is the equation for work and energy, with the teacher providing a different equation than what was used in high school. However, it can be simplified to equating the potential energy stored in the spring to the sum of
jared bernstein
Hey guys I am in intro physics in college and took physics in high school. I have a general question about work/energy. In high school we used work= change in total energy and total energy = PE +KE +Q (Internal) which =work. In class there was a problem that read
2.00 kg block is attached to a spring of force constant 500 N/m. The block is pulled 4.50 cm to the right of equilibrium and released from rest.

(a) Find the speed of the block as it passes through equilibrium if the horizontal surface is frictionless.

(b) Find the speed of the block as it passes through equilibrium (for the first time) if the coefficient of friction between block and surface is 0.350

What I don't understand is that my teacher said KE + PE +PEs =Wf (which is work of friction) but in high school (the equation above the friction or Q is on the other side and she says that the friction is equal to W.

Can anyone explain!

Or simply do the problem out for me I am getting mixed messages!

thanks

first post btw

Physics news on Phys.org
jared bernstein said:
Or simply do the problem out for me I am getting mixed messages!
Give it a try yourself, first!
jared bernstein said:
PEs
What is this?
jared bernstein said:
friction is equal to W.
Please rephrase, what do you mean by friction = W ?

Hint: Just equate the potential energy stored in the spring to the sum of kinetic energy gained by the object and work done by friction.

You could write it as ##W_f = - \Delta(KE+PE)##. That is, the work done against friction is equal to the loss in mechanical energy. (You have a PEs, which I take to be another form of PE, e.g. you may have gravitational PE as well as spring PE. I'm lumping all the PEs together.). However, if your teacher takes Wf to be the work done by friction then that reverses the sign. So it could be just a question of standpoint.

1. What is energy?

Energy is the ability to do work or cause change. It can come in many forms, such as heat, light, motion, and electricity.

2. How is energy produced?

Energy can be produced through various processes, such as burning fossil fuels, harnessing wind or solar power, or splitting atoms in nuclear reactions.

3. What are the different types of energy?

The main types of energy are kinetic energy (energy of motion), potential energy (stored energy), thermal energy (heat), chemical energy, electrical energy, and nuclear energy.

4. How is energy measured?

Energy is measured in joules (J) or its multiples, such as kilojoules (kJ) or megajoules (MJ). In some cases, other units such as calories or British thermal units (BTUs) may also be used.

5. Why is energy important?

Energy is essential for almost all human activities, from powering our homes and transportation to producing goods and services. It is also crucial for sustaining life on Earth and is a key factor in the health of our planet's ecosystems.