Understood this equation e=mc2

• Thread starter Valo130
  • Start date
  • Tags
    E=mc2
In summary: This is called pair production and is one way that energy can be turned into matter. So, in summary, energy can be turned into mass and vice versa, and there are various processes such as nuclear fusion and pair production that can convert one into the other.
Valo130
I think i have understood this equation ( don`t be to hard on me, only 15 and have just started to read physics ).

As i understand it says the following :

Energy can be turned into mass, and mass can be turned into energy.
It also says how much energy you get if you turn mass into energy.

Is this right?

Physics news on Phys.org

Valo130 said:
I think i have understood this equation ( don`t be to hard on me, only 15 and have just started to read physics ).

As i understand it says the following :

Energy can be turned into mass, and mass can be turned into energy.
It also says how much energy you get if you turn mass into energy.

Is this right?

Essentially yes, but it might be better to think of it as saying that mass *is* energy - that is, mass is one manifestation of energy, just like heat or light, and can in principle be turned into other types of energy.

This is clearer if we define c=1 (yes, we can do that!), leaving simply E = m.

I understand how you can do matter into energi, when it meets anti-matter and... explodes.
But how do you do energy into matter?

Valo130 said:
I understand how you can do matter into energi, when it meets anti-matter and... explodes.

One example is nuclear fusion when creating elements heavier than iron. I'm not sure of the precise process (no doubt it is very complicated) but basically two lighter atom smash into each other at immense energies and fuse together, putting some of the energy into mass. This process only occurs in supernova.

Valo130 said:
A photon above a certain energy threshold can create an electron-positron pair when it collides with something.

1. What does the equation e=mc2 mean?

The equation e=mc2, also known as the mass-energy equivalence equation, means that energy (e) and mass (m) are two forms of the same physical quantity, with the speed of light (c) being the conversion factor between the two. It shows that a small amount of mass can be converted into a large amount of energy and vice versa.

2. Who came up with the equation e=mc2?

The equation e=mc2 was derived by Albert Einstein in 1905 as a part of his special theory of relativity. However, it was later extended to its full form by Einstein and others in the following years.

3. How does e=mc2 relate to nuclear energy?

The equation e=mc2 plays a crucial role in understanding nuclear energy. In nuclear reactions, a tiny amount of mass is converted into a large amount of energy, as predicted by this equation. This is the basis of how nuclear power plants generate energy.

4. Is e=mc2 proven?

The equation e=mc2 is a fundamental principle of modern physics and has been extensively tested and verified through experiments and observations. It has been confirmed to be accurate and is widely accepted by the scientific community.

5. Can e=mc2 be applied to everyday life?

While the equation e=mc2 has many applications in the fields of nuclear energy and particle physics, it is not commonly applied in everyday life. However, it does play a role in technologies such as nuclear power plants and medical imaging devices, which have a significant impact on our daily lives.