Underwater data acquisition project

In summary, Sean is looking for an enclosure for powering his electronics underwater and has been unsuccessful so far. He has found a battery pack but is still looking for a suitable enclosure.
seanski06
I'm currently working on a project where I am required to measure the load that is applied to a chain, which is submersed in an underwater tank (approx. 20 feet). The entire assembly must be self contained and hermetically sealed for up to 6 months.

I've successfully sourced some good ip68 load cells and a datalogger, however I'm trying to figure out the best approach to enclosing a 24v power supply needed to power my sensors.

Does anyone have any experience working with electronics underwater? I can't seem to find much info on some good ip68 enclosures that will allow a cable port.

The most idealsolution would be a self contained 24v power supply that would consist of a box with two wires coming off of it.

Thanks for any help,
-Sean

Engineering news on Phys.org
Someone around these parts may have a better answer for you but have you tried looking in a dive shop to see what they have? I know they have big underwater battery packs for things like flashlights. Maybe you could use one of those.

seanski06 said:
I'm currently working on a project where I am required to measure the load that is applied to a chain, which is submersed in an underwater tank (approx. 20 feet). The entire assembly must be self contained and hermetically sealed for up to 6 months.

I've successfully sourced some good ip68 load cells and a datalogger, however I'm trying to figure out the best approach to enclosing a 24v power supply needed to power my sensors.

Does anyone have any experience working with electronics underwater? I can't seem to find much info on some good ip68 enclosures that will allow a cable port.

The most idealsolution would be a self contained 24v power supply that would consist of a box with two wires coming off of it.

Thanks for any help,
-Sean

Sean,

http://www.odi.com/" make the connections you seek.

CS

Last edited by a moderator:
Okefenokee: Most of those underwater battery packs are way too large for my application

Stewartcs: thanks for the info about ODI, I've been looking into what Seacon had, having more options is always a good thing

I found a really neat lithium polymer 14.8v dc source IP68 all the way...Unfortunately, the company has not decided to make them, I guess their just gauging interest

Related to Underwater data acquisition project

1. What is an underwater data acquisition project?

An underwater data acquisition project is a scientific research project that involves collecting, analyzing, and interpreting data from underwater environments. This data can include information on water quality, marine life, ocean currents, and other important factors that affect our oceans.

2. What equipment is used in underwater data acquisition projects?

Underwater data acquisition projects use a variety of specialized equipment, including underwater cameras, sensors, sonar systems, and remote operated vehicles (ROVs). These tools are designed to withstand the harsh conditions of the ocean and collect accurate data from different depths and locations.

3. How is the data collected and analyzed in underwater data acquisition projects?

Data is collected in underwater data acquisition projects using various methods such as manual sampling, automated sensors, and ROVs. Once collected, the data is then transferred to a computer where it is analyzed using specialized software. Scientists can then interpret the data to draw conclusions and make predictions about the underwater environment.

4. What are the benefits of conducting underwater data acquisition projects?

Underwater data acquisition projects are crucial for understanding and monitoring the health of our oceans. By collecting and analyzing data, scientists can identify and address issues such as pollution, climate change, and overfishing. This information can also be used to make informed decisions about resource management and conservation efforts.

5. What are some challenges faced in underwater data acquisition projects?

Underwater data acquisition projects face many challenges, including technical difficulties with equipment, unpredictable weather and ocean conditions, and the high cost and complexity of conducting research in the ocean. There is also a lack of accessibility and limited technology for analyzing and interpreting data collected from the deep sea. These challenges require scientists to constantly innovate and collaborate to overcome them and gather accurate data.