Unexpected result on Lorentz transformation

In summary, the conversation discusses the generators ##N^{\pm}{}_\mu = \frac{1}{2}(J_\mu \pm iK_\mu)##, which obey the algebra of ##SU(2)##. The focus is on the (1/2, 1/2) representation of the Lorentz group, where the 2x2 Pauli matrices are used. However, it is determined that the correct representation to consider is either (1/2, 0) or (0, 1/2), and the calculations using these representations lead to different results. Further investigation is needed to understand the discrepancy.
Tio Barnabe
The generators ##N^{\pm}{}_\mu = \frac{1}{2}(J_\mu \pm iK_\mu)## obey the algebra of ##SU(2)##. On the RHS we see the Lorentz generators of rotations and boosts, respectively.

I considered the case where ##N^{\pm}{}_\mu = (1/2) \sigma_\mu##, i.e. the (1/2, 1/2) representation of the Lorentz group, where ##\sigma_\mu## are the 2x2 Pauli matrices.

Substitution into the equation above for ##N^{\pm}{}_\mu## leads to ##J_\mu = \sigma_\mu; \ K_\mu = 0##. I didn't like this result, since it seems to indicate that boosts can't be done.

Never the less, I procceded to the calculation of ##J_3 = \sigma_3##. I got the result $$\exp(J_3 \theta) = \exp(\sigma_3 \theta) = \begin{pmatrix}\cosh \theta + \sinh \theta&0\\0&\cosh \theta - \sinh \theta\end{pmatrix}$$
When operating with this matrix on an arbritary matrix $$V = v_0 \bf{1} + \sum_i v_i \sigma_i$$ [which (I think) is the most general matrix on the space in question, because it's a 2x2 hermitian matrix, and thus will satisfy the conditions for ##SU(2)##.]

I get for the transformed components ##v_i## exactly the same result I get for a Lorentz boost of a Lorentz four-vector along the 3-direction (z-direction), i.e., $$\begin{pmatrix}\cosh \theta&0&0&\sinh \theta\\0&0&0&0\\0&0&0&0\\\sinh \theta&0&0&\cosh \theta\end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix}v_0\\v_1\\v_2\\v_3\end{pmatrix}$$

This is too strange to be correct. What am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are on the right track, but what you consider is not the representation (1/2,1/2) but one of the representations (1/2,0) or (0,1/2) (I'd have to check the standard conventions to figure out which one it specifically is).

For a detailed review of the representations of the Lorentz (and Poincare) groups, see appendix B in my QFT lecture notes:

https://th.physik.uni-frankfurt.de/~hees/publ/lect.pdf

Likes Tio Barnabe and jerromyjon
Thank you

I'm sorry to say that I read your appendix B and tried to apply the value ##1/2## to ##k## and ##k'##, but I'm still getting the same results as in post #1.

1. What is the Lorentz transformation and why is it important?

The Lorentz transformation is a mathematical formula that describes how physical quantities, such as length and time, appear to an observer in one reference frame when viewed from another moving reference frame. It is important because it is a fundamental concept of special relativity, which helps explain the relationship between space and time in the theory of relativity.

2. What is considered an unexpected result on Lorentz transformation?

An unexpected result on Lorentz transformation can refer to any outcome that does not align with the expected predictions based on the principles of special relativity. This could include discrepancies in measurements of length or time intervals between moving objects as observed from different reference frames.

3. What are some possible causes for unexpected results on Lorentz transformation?

There are several factors that can contribute to unexpected results on Lorentz transformation. These may include measurement errors, incorrect application of the formula, or the presence of external forces that affect the motion of the objects being observed.

4. How can unexpected results on Lorentz transformation be resolved?

If unexpected results are encountered, it is important to carefully review the data and the application of the Lorentz transformation formula. If measurement errors or external forces are identified, they can be accounted for and the results can be corrected. Additionally, further experimentation and analysis may be necessary to fully understand and explain the unexpected results.

5. How does the Lorentz transformation impact our understanding of the universe?

The Lorentz transformation, along with other concepts in special relativity, has greatly influenced our understanding of the universe and the nature of space and time. It has helped scientists to better understand phenomena such as time dilation and length contraction, and has provided a foundation for modern theories of gravity and the structure of the universe.