Uniform Continuity Homework: Show h is Uniformly Continuous on [0, ∞)

In summary, the author is considering using the epsilon-delta definition of continuity and looking at two cases: 1. x>a, 0<y<a. 2. 0<x,y<a. but is not exactly sure if that works. Could anyone please give me some hints? Any help is appreciated!Continuity does not imply uniform continuity. In order to use the epsilon-delta definition, you need to prove that the function is uniformly continuous on a closed interval. The author has already found a delta which works for all points within the interval, so the second step is easy.
rainwyz0706

Homework Statement

Show that if h is continuous on [0, ∞) and uniformly continuous on [a, ∞),
for some positive constant a, then h is uniformly continuous on [0, ∞).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm thinking of using the epsilon-delta definition of continuity and look at two cases: 1. x>a, 0<y<a. 2. 0<x,y<a. but I'm not exactly sure if that works. Could anyone please give me some hints? Any help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider the following questions:

1) Is h uniformly continuous on [0,a]?
2) If h is uniformly continuous on [0,a] and on [itex][a,\infty)[/itex] does it follow that h is uniformly continuous on [itex][0,\infty)[/itex]?

Let me think about this a bit in abstract terms.
If the limit for x going to a of f(x) = f(a) for every x in some interval I, we say that f is continuous on I. The definition of limit then says that: for every a in I, and for every epsilon, we can find a delta (depending on epsilon and a), such that ... "
Uniform continuity is a bit stronger. It says that for all points a we can choose the same delta. So the statement is "for every epsilon, we can find a delta (depending on epsilon), such that ... for all a in I simultaneously".

In general, continuity does not imply uniform continuity. You cannot simply take the minimum of all the deltas in your interval, for example, because in general this does not exist. Technically, you should be talking about an infimum, but this might be zero and that is not allowed.

Now you find yourself in the situation, where you know that for some infinite interval there is a strictly positive delta which works for all the points in that interval. This suggests to me a proof in two steps:
* find a strictly positive delta on the finite closed interval [0, a] (basically proving that any continuous function on [a, b] is uniformly continuous)
* combine these two deltas into a single one which is > 0 and works for all of [0, ∞)

CompuChip said:
* combine these two deltas into a single one which is > 0 and works for all of [0, ∞)

Yup. And the new overall δ would be the:

a. Max
b. Min
c. sum
d. difference
e. other

of the two δ's you have?

1. What is uniform continuity?

Uniform continuity is a property of functions that describes their behavior over a certain interval. A function is uniformly continuous if, for any given value of epsilon (ε), there exists a corresponding value of delta (δ) such that for all x and y in the interval, if the distance between them is less than delta, then the distance between the function values at those points is less than epsilon.

2. How is uniform continuity different from continuity?

Continuity and uniform continuity both describe the behavior of functions over a certain interval, but they differ in their requirements. A function is continuous if, for any given value of x, the limit of the function as x approaches that value exists. Uniform continuity, on the other hand, requires that the limit of the function as x approaches a value is the same regardless of where in the interval x and y are chosen.

3. Why is it important to show that a function is uniformly continuous?

Uniform continuity is an important concept in mathematics because it allows us to make certain conclusions about the behavior of a function. For example, if a function is uniformly continuous over an interval, we know that it will not have any sudden or abrupt changes in behavior within that interval. This can help us make more accurate predictions and calculations using the function.

4. How can we prove that a function is uniformly continuous?

In order to prove that a function is uniformly continuous, we must show that for any value of epsilon (ε), there exists a corresponding value of delta (δ) such that for all x and y in the interval, if the distance between them is less than delta, then the distance between the function values at those points is less than epsilon. This can be done using various mathematical techniques, such as the epsilon-delta definition of a limit or the Cauchy criterion for uniform continuity.

5. What is the significance of the interval [0, ∞) in this statement?

The interval [0, ∞) is significant because it represents all values greater than or equal to 0. This is important because it allows us to make conclusions about the behavior of the function as x approaches infinity, which is often a key aspect of proving uniform continuity. Additionally, this interval is often used in real-world applications, making it a relevant and practical range to consider.