Uniform convergence of a complex power series on a compact set

In summary, to prove that the complex power series $\sum\limits_{n=0}^{\infty}a_nz^n$ converges uniformly on the compact disc $|z| \leq r|z_0|,$ we can use the fact that the series converges absolutely for every $z$ such that $|z|<|z_0|.$ This means that the tail part of the series can be made arbitrarily small, and we can find a value $M$ such that $|a_nz^n| \leq M$ for $n \geq M.$ By manipulating the terms, we can show that the series is bounded by the convergent geometric series $\sum\limits_{
kalish1
I need to prove that the complex power series $\sum\limits_{n=0}^{\infty}a_nz^n$ converges uniformly on the compact disc $|z| \leq r|z_0|,$ assuming that the series converges for some $z_0 \neq 0.$

*I know that the series converges absolutely for every $z,$ such that $|z|<|z_0|.$ Since $\sum\limits_{n=0}^{\infty}a_nz_0^n$ converges, by definition of convergence this means that the tail part of the series can be made arbitrarily small. So $\lim\limits_{n \rightarrow \infty}a_nz_0^n = 0$ and this means that $\exists M \in \mathbb{R}^{+}$ so that $|a_nz_0^n| \leq M$ for $n \geq M.$ So it follows that $$|a_nz^n| \leq M \left|\dfrac{z}{z_0}\right|^n.$$ Thus $$\sum\limits_{n=0}^{\infty}|a_nz^n| \leq \sum\limits_{n=0}^{\infty}M \left|\dfrac{z}{z_0}\right|^n = M\sum\limits_{n=0}^{\infty}r^n,$$ where $r<1$ (because $|z|<|z_0| \implies \left|\dfrac{z}{z_0}\right|<1.$)*

But how do I get started on this uniform convergence?

Physics news on Phys.org
How can I show that for all $\epsilon > 0$ there exists $N \in \mathbb{N}$ so that $|a_{n+1}z^{n+1}|<\epsilon$ for all $n>N$?

Related to Uniform convergence of a complex power series on a compact set

1. What is uniform convergence of a complex power series on a compact set?

Uniform convergence of a complex power series on a compact set is a property of a power series, where the series converges to the same limit for all points in the set, regardless of the order in which the terms are summed.

2. How is uniform convergence different from pointwise convergence?

Pointwise convergence of a series means that the series converges to a specific value at each point in the set. Uniform convergence, on the other hand, means that the series converges to the same value for all points in the set.

3. What is a compact set?

A compact set is a set that is closed and bounded, meaning that it contains all its limit points and has finite size. In other words, a compact set is a set that can be contained within a finite region.

4. Why is uniform convergence important?

Uniform convergence is important because it guarantees that the limit of the power series is continuous, and allows for the interchange of limits and summation in certain cases. This property is crucial in many areas of mathematics and physics.

5. How can I determine if a complex power series converges uniformly on a compact set?

One way to determine uniform convergence is to use the Weierstrass M-test, which states that if the absolute value of each term in the series is bounded by a convergent series, then the original series converges uniformly. Additionally, checking the Cauchy criterion for uniform convergence can also be used to determine uniform convergence on a compact set.