Uniform Motion Problems Part.2

In summary, two individuals, Alex and Jessica, ride off from Asteroid at different times and speeds. Alex rides off at 5 p.m. and Jessica rides off at 6 p.m., 400 kph slower than Alex. At 11 p.m., they are 7900 km apart. By using a distance formula, their respective speeds are determined to be 900 kph for Alex and 500 kph for Jessica. Despite this correct solution, the speaker's teacher still believes it is wrong.
Richay
Can somebody double check me on this.

At 5 p.m., Alex rode off from Asteroid. One hour later, Jessica rode off from Asteroid in the opposite direction at a speed 400 kph less than that of Alex. If they were 7900 km apart at 11 p.m., how fast did each travel

Answer in the form: Alex, Jessica

Alex rode off at 5 p.m. at x km
By 11 p.m. (6 hours later), his distance was 6x km

Jessica rode off at 6 p.m. at x-400 km
By 11 p.m. (5 hours later), her distance was: 5(x-400) km

The total distance between them was 7900 km.
6x + 5(x-400)=7900

6 x 900 = 5400 (Alex)

900 - 400= 500 x 5 = 2500 (Jessica)

5400+2500 = 7900

So Alex's speed was 900 and Jessica's was 500

Answered in form 900, 500

Did i do this correctly? I Know I've posted this problem before but it was in the wrong section. And i solved it the correct way this time i hope...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The solution is correct.

Man my teacher is a stupid.

We had a test on this, My answer is Alex - 900 and Jessica - 500. But he says it's wrong. :devil:

Related to Uniform Motion Problems Part.2

1. What is the difference between uniform motion and non-uniform motion?

Uniform motion is when an object travels at a constant speed in a straight line, while non-uniform motion is when an object's speed or direction changes over time.

2. How do you calculate average speed in a uniform motion problem?

Average speed is calculated by dividing the total distance traveled by the total time taken.

3. Can you explain the concept of relative velocity in uniform motion problems?

Relative velocity is the velocity of an object with respect to another moving object. In uniform motion problems, it is important to consider the relative velocity of objects when they are moving in different directions.

4. What is the role of a frame of reference in uniform motion problems?

A frame of reference is a coordinate system used to describe the motion of an object. In uniform motion problems, choosing the correct frame of reference is crucial in accurately solving the problem.

5. How can you determine the acceleration of an object in a uniform motion problem?

In uniform motion, acceleration is equal to zero since the object is traveling at a constant speed. However, if the object changes direction or its speed changes, then there is a non-zero acceleration.