Uniformly accelerated linear motion downwards

In summary, the conversation discusses solving for various variables in a physics problem involving a small body being released from a platform 605 meters above the ground. The problem provides the value of gravitational acceleration (g=10m/s2) and asks for the time required to reach the ground, velocity at the ground, velocity at 425m from the ground, distance traveled in the first 4 seconds, distance traveled in the last 4 seconds, and distance traveled in the third and seventh seconds. The conversation also provides relevant equations for motion and velocity laws. The correct result for e) is found by calculating the distance traveled in the total time interval and subtracting the distance traveled in the first 3 seconds. For
Andrei0408
Homework Statement
A small body is freely released from a platform located 605 meters above the ground. If g=10m/s2
and
we ignore air resistance find:
a) the time required to reach the ground;
b) the velocity at the ground;
c) the
velocity at 425 m from the ground;
d) the distance traveled in the first 4 seconds of flight;
e) the distance
traveled in the last 4 seconds of flight;
f) the distance traveled in the third second of flight and in the
seventh.
Relevant Equations
motion law, velocity law
Could you check if what I did is right and help me at e) and f)? Thank you!

Attachments

• 20201031_134213.jpg
    20201031_134213.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 99
  • 20201031_134220.jpg
    20201031_134220.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 105
  • 20201031_134226.jpg
    20201031_134226.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 85
Physics news on Phys.org
Andrei0408 said:
Homework Statement:: A small body is freely released from a platform located 605 meters above the ground. If g=10m/s2
and
we ignore air resistance find:
a) the time required to reach the ground;
b) the velocity at the ground;
c) the
velocity at 425 m from the ground;
d) the distance traveled in the first 4 seconds of flight;
e) the distance
traveled in the last 4 seconds of flight;
f) the distance traveled in the third second of flight and in the
seventh.
Relevant Equations:: motion law, velocity law

Could you check if what I did is right and help me at e) and f)? Thank you!
EDIT: I tried e) again and got this:
tAD = tAO - 4
tAD = 7s
yDO = yA - 1/2 * g * (tAD)^2
yDO = 605 -245
yDO = 360m
is this right?

•It seems to me that d. part is not correct.

•distance traveled in nth second means distance traveled between time interval of ##n-1## to ##n## seconds.

•e part—>
If total time interval is t seconds and you want to find the distance traveled in last n seconds you can calculate the the distance traveled in time interval of ##t-n## seconds and then subtract it from distance traveled in total time interval.

Hemant said:
•It seems to me that d. part is not correct.

•distance traveled in nth second means distance traveled between time interval of ##n-1## to ##n## seconds.

•e part—>
If total time interval is t seconds and you want to find the distance traveled in last n seconds you can calculate the the distance traveled in time interval of ##t-n## seconds and then subtract it from distance traveled in total time interval.
Thank you!

Likes Frigus
Andrei0408 said:
EDIT: I tried e) again and got this:
tAD = tAO - 4
tAD = 7s
yDO = yA - 1/2 * g * (tAD)^2
yDO = 605 -245
yDO = 360m
is this right?
That result seems to be correct.

After following your work for a), b), c) and d), I believe that you take many steps that are not necessary and could introduce errors.

For resolving f), you could calculate the velocities at times 2 seconds and 7 seconds first.
Then, include each of those values into the equation to calculate the distance traveled during the following second.

Lnewqban said:
That result seems to be correct.

After following your work for a), b), c) and d), I believe that you take many steps that are not necessary and could introduce errors.

For resolving f), you could calculate the velocities at times 2 seconds and 7 seconds first.
Then, include each of those values into the equation to calculate the distance traveled during the following second.
Thank you, I'll try to be more careful

What is uniformly accelerated linear motion downwards?

Uniformly accelerated linear motion downwards is a type of motion where an object is moving in a straight line and its velocity is increasing at a constant rate in the downward direction.

What is the formula for calculating the velocity of an object in uniformly accelerated linear motion downwards?

The formula for calculating the velocity of an object in uniformly accelerated linear motion downwards is v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

How does the acceleration due to gravity affect uniformly accelerated linear motion downwards?

The acceleration due to gravity, denoted as g, is a constant value of 9.8 m/s^2 and it affects uniformly accelerated linear motion downwards by causing the object to accelerate towards the ground at a constant rate.

What is the difference between uniformly accelerated linear motion downwards and free fall?

The main difference between uniformly accelerated linear motion downwards and free fall is that in free fall, the object is only affected by the force of gravity, while in uniformly accelerated linear motion downwards, there may be other forces acting on the object in addition to gravity.

What is the significance of the slope of a velocity-time graph in uniformly accelerated linear motion downwards?

The slope of a velocity-time graph in uniformly accelerated linear motion downwards represents the acceleration of the object. A steeper slope indicates a higher acceleration, while a flatter slope indicates a lower acceleration.