Union and Intersection of Sets

In summary, the sets A and B can be represented as all real numbers except for the region bounded by -1 < x < 1, and the region bounded by -2<x<3, respectively. The union of A and B is the set of all real numbers, while the intersection is the set of all real numbers between -2 and -1, and between 1 and 3. These answers can also be represented in interval notation as (-∞, ∞) for the union and (-2, -1) U (1, 3) for the intersection.
TranscendArcu

Homework Statement

Let [itex]A = {x\in R | |x| >1}, B = {x\in R | -2<x<3}[/itex]. Find A \cup B and A\cap B

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought I might attempt this via a number line. Since I don't know how to make a number line in Latex, I'll describe it. I have A as being all of R except for the region bounded from -1 < x < 1. I have B as the region bounded from -2<x<3.

I then observed, [itex]A \cup B = R[/itex] and [itex]A \cap B = { x \in R | -2<x<-1, 1<x<3} [/itex]. But I'm sure if I have used the correct notation or if these answers are even correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
TranscendArcu said:

Homework Statement

Let [itex]A = {x\in R | |x| >1}, B = {x\in R | -2<x<3}[/itex]. Find A \cup B and A\cap B

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought I might attempt this via a number line. Since I don't know how to make a number line in Latex, I'll describe it. I have A as being all of R except for the region bounded from -1 < x < 1. I have B as the region bounded from -2<x<3.

I then observed, [itex]A \cup B = R[/itex] and [itex]A \cap B = { x \in R | -2<x<-1, 1<x<3} [/itex]. But I'm (not?) sure if I have used the correct notation or if these answers are even correct.
To make the braces, { , } , show in LaTeX, use the backslash, \ , character with each brace: \{ , \} .

I take it that you mean:
" Let [itex]\text{A}=\{x\in \mathbb{R} | |x| >1\},\ \text{B}=\{x\in \mathbb{R} | -2<x<3\}[/itex]. Find [itex]\text{ A}\cup\text{B}[/itex] and [itex]\text{A}\cap\text{B}\,.[/itex] "

Then your answers are correct.
[itex]\text{ A}\cup\text{B} = \mathbb{R}[/itex]

[itex]\text{A}\cap\text{B} = \{ x \in \mathbb{R} | -2<x<-1, 1<x<3\} [/itex]​

Of course you can write them in interval notation as
[itex]\text{ A}\cup\text{B} =(-\infty,\,\infty)[/itex]

[itex]\text{A}\cap\text{B} =(-2,\,-1)\cup(1,\,3)[/itex]​

Related to Union and Intersection of Sets

1. What is the definition of the union of sets?

The union of two sets A and B is the set of all elements that are members of either A or B (or both).

2. How is the union of sets represented?

The union of sets is represented by the symbol ∪, and can be written as A ∪ B.

3. What is the definition of the intersection of sets?

The intersection of two sets A and B is the set of all elements that are members of both A and B.

4. How is the intersection of sets represented?

The intersection of sets is represented by the symbol ∩, and can be written as A ∩ B.

5. What is the difference between the union and intersection of sets?

The union of sets includes all elements that are in either set, while the intersection of sets only includes elements that are in both sets. Another way to think about it is that the union of sets combines the elements of two sets, while the intersection of sets finds the common elements between two sets.