Unique factoring over E-Primes criteria

In summary: Keep up the good work!In summary, a simple criteria for when elements of E can be uniquely factored into a product of E-primes is that the element must be divisible by 4 and not divisible by 8, and the product of two E-primes must be of the form 4*f where f is a prime number or 4*f*g where f or g is 1 and the other is a prime number.
RJLiberator
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Let E denote the set of positive even integers. An element p ∈ E is called an E-prime if p cannot be written as a product of two elements of E. Determine a simple criteria for when elements of E can be uniquely factored into a product of E-primes.

Homework Equations

Some E-primes from my understanding: 2, 6, 10, 14, 18, 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46, 50
Some terms that can be uniquely factored into e-primes: 4, 12, 20, 28, 44, 52

The Attempt at a Solution

I've spent much more time on this problem then I should have.

I can clearly see that all terms that can be uniquely factored into e-primes must be divisible by 4.
It seems like there is a common ratio of 8 between terms until we get to terms 36 and 60. 36 can be factored into 6*6 and 18*2 while 60 can be factored into 6*10 and 30*2. So these are clearly not unique.

All the terms that can be uniquely factored can not be divisible by 8, that makes sense since 8 = 4*2.

But beyond this, I don't really know what it means by criteria? Should I spit out an equation like 4+8n for n=all integers except 4,7,10,13,...

Physics news on Phys.org
RJLiberator said:

Homework Statement

Let E denote the set of positive even integers. An element p ∈ E is called an E-prime if p cannot be written as a product of two elements of E. Determine a simple criteria for when elements of E can be uniquely factored into a product of E-primes.

Homework Equations

Some E-primes from my understanding: 2, 6, 10, 14, 18, 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46, 50
Some terms that can be uniquely factored into e-primes: 4, 12, 20, 28, 44, 52

The Attempt at a Solution

I've spent much more time on this problem then I should have.

I can clearly see that all terms that can be uniquely factored into e-primes must be divisible by 4.
It seems like there is a common ratio of 8 between terms until we get to terms 36 and 60. 36 can be factored into 6*6 and 18*2 while 60 can be factored into 6*10 and 30*2. So these are clearly not unique.

All the terms that can be uniquely factored can not be divisible by 8, that makes sense since 8 = 4*2.

But beyond this, I don't really know what it means by criteria? Should I spit out an equation like 4+8n for n=all integers except 4,7,10,13,...
You have established that an e-prime is divisible by 4 and not divisible by 8.
So if e is an e-prime, e=2².f, where f is an odd number.
What condition(s) does f have to satisfy in order for the factoring to be unique? What can you tell about the prime factors of f?

Likes RJLiberator
You have established that an e-prime is divisible by 4 and not divisible by 8.

Well, the terms that can be factored into e-primes are divisible by 4 and not divisible by 8.
The e-primes are not divisible by 8 as well, but can not be divisible by 4.

So if e is an e-prime, e=2².f, where f is an odd number.

I'm not quite sure this holds. Let's see, E-primes are: 6, 10, 14, 18, but that doesn't quite fit into the equation.

:/

Yes, I was wrong, sorry.

An e-prime e=2.f, where f is odd.
A product of two e-primes is 4.f.g (f and g odd).
How can you guarantee that this factoring in e-primes is unique?

Last edited:
Likes RJLiberator
That makes a lot of sense to me.

So since we can define an e-prime to be e = 2*f where f is odd.
And we see that the produce of two eprimes is e*e = 2*f*2*g = 4*f*g

We can guarantee that this factoring is unique when f or g is a prime number and the other is 1.

For example. If we were to let g and f both be prime numbers, say 7 and 5, then 4*7*5 = 140 which does NOT have a unique e-prime factorization as 2*70 (both eprimes) and 10*14 (both eprimes). So f and g can't both be prime numbers.
Now, if we let one of them be prime and the other be, even this also doesn't work. Take for example 13*4*2 we get 104 which does NOT have a unique e-prime factorization.So in conclusion,
products of two eprimes occur when 4*f*g where f is a prime number and g is 1. or more simply, 4*f where f is a prime number.

RJLiberator said:
That makes a lot of sense to me.

So since we can define an e-prime to be e = 2*f where f is odd.
And we see that the produce of two eprimes is e*e = 2*f*2*g = 4*f*g

We can guarantee that this factoring is unique when f or g is a prime number and the other is 1.

For example. If we were to let g and f both be prime numbers, say 7 and 5, then 4*7*5 = 140 which does NOT have a unique e-prime factorization as 2*70 (both eprimes) and 10*14 (both eprimes). So f and g can't both be prime numbers.
Now, if we let one of them be prime and the other be, even this also doesn't work. Take for example 13*4*2 we get 104 which does NOT have a unique e-prime factorization.So in conclusion,
products of two eprimes occur when 4*f*g where f is a prime number and g is 1. or more simply, 4*f where f is a prime number.
Looks good. f can also be 1.

Likes RJLiberator
Indeed! Thank you for your help, Samy_A.

You are welcome. Sorry for the confusion in my first post.

Likes RJLiberator

1. What is unique factoring over E-Primes criteria?

Unique factoring over E-Primes criteria is a method used in number theory to determine the uniqueness of prime factorization for a given integer. It involves testing if a number can be factored into only prime numbers, where the primes used are from the set of E-Primes, which are a specific set of primes that follow certain criteria.

2. How is this criteria different from other methods of factoring?

The E-Primes criteria is unique because it focuses on a specific set of primes that have distinct properties, such as being congruent to 1 modulo 4. This allows for a more efficient and accurate determination of the uniqueness of prime factorization, compared to other methods that may use a broader set of primes.

3. Why is unique factoring over E-Primes criteria important?

Unique factoring over E-Primes criteria is important because it helps in understanding the fundamental properties of prime numbers and their relationships. It also has applications in cryptography, where the uniqueness of prime factorization is crucial for secure encryption and decryption of data.

4. Can this criteria be applied to all integers?

No, the E-Primes criteria is only applicable to a subset of integers that can be factored into primes. It is not suitable for all integers, as some may not meet the criteria and would require a different method of factoring.

5. How is the E-Primes criteria tested?

The E-Primes criteria is tested by first finding the prime factorization of the given integer. Then, the primes used in the factorization are checked against the set of E-Primes to see if they meet the specific criteria. If they do, then the factorization is considered unique over E-Primes. If not, then the criteria is not met and the factorization may not be unique.