Unique Factorisation Domains/Fields

• Thread starter Zoe-b
  • Start date
In summary, the concept of irreducibility in a field is difficult to grasp as all non-zero elements are units, making it impossible for there to be irreducible elements. However, in any ring, there are three classes of non-zero elements: units, zero divisors, and non-unit non-zero divisors, with irreducibles falling under the non-unit category. In the given example of R = union from n=1 to infinity of (Z [ 2^(1/n) ]), it has been shown that it is a subring of the reals with no irreducible elements. However, there is still confusion about whether it is a unique factorization domain as any element with a zero constant term is reducible. It
Zoe-b
In my notes/online I have that for a set to be a field is a stronger condition than for a set to be a unique factorisation domain (obviously), but I'm confused about the concept of irreducibility in a field. For example in R\{0} there are no irreducible elements as far as I can tell? I'm trying to show whether a different ring is a UFD or not but again I find the concept of irreducibility difficult as here again the ring seems to have no irreducible elements.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
in any ring there are three classes of non zero elements: units, zero divisors, non unit non zero divisors. irreducibles are always, by definition, a subset of the non units. in a field, all non zero elements are units, hence there is no possibility of irreducibles.

Zoe-b said:
In my notes/online I have that for a set to be a field is a stronger condition than for a set to be a unique factorisation domain (obviously), but I'm confused about the concept of irreducibility in a field. For example in R\{0} there are no irreducible elements as far as I can tell? I'm trying to show whether a different ring is a UFD or not but again I find the concept of irreducibility difficult as here again the ring seems to have no irreducible elements.

Thanks in advance.

perhaps you should tells us which ring you are trying to prove is a UFD.

Ok that makes sense, so is the statement that all fields are UFDs correct? Or just nonsense because the concept of factorisation only makes sense with regards to irreducibles?

Let 2^(1/n) be the real positive nth root of 2. If we consider Z [ 2^(1/n) ] as the image of Z[X] under the evaluation map f(X) -> f(2^(1/n)), then let R= union from n=1 to infinity of (Z [ 2^(1/n) ]). I have shown already that R is a subring of the reals but as far as I can see it has no irreducible elements-
If a is a member of Z[2^(1/p)] for some natural number p, say a = g(2^(1/p)) for some polynomial g in Z[X]. Then we can always take out a factor of 2^(1/2p) to give

a = 2^(1/2p) * h(2^(1/2p))

where h is some polynomial in Z[X] (with the same integer coefficients as g but different powers). So a is reducible.

Am I on the completely wrong track?

Zoe-b said:
Ok that makes sense, so is the statement that all fields are UFDs correct? Or just nonsense because the concept of factorisation only makes sense with regards to irreducibles?

Let 2^(1/n) be the real positive nth root of 2. If we consider Z [ 2^(1/n) ] as the image of Z[X] under the evaluation map f(X) -> f(2^(1/n)), then let R= union from n=1 to infinity of (Z [ 2^(1/n) ]). I have shown already that R is a subring of the reals but as far as I can see it has no irreducible elements-
If a is a member of Z[2^(1/p)] for some natural number p, say a = g(2^(1/p)) for some polynomial g in Z[X]. Then we can always take out a factor of 2^(1/2p) to give

a = 2^(1/2p) * h(2^(1/2p))

where h is some polynomial in Z[X] (with the same integer coefficients as g but different powers). So a is reducible.

Am I on the completely wrong track?

Isn't the number 3 irreducible in this ring?

Ok I completely missed that the polynomial can have a constant term (being slow) so yes I think you're right, 3 is irreducible. But I still can't see whether or not it is a unique factorisation domain as any element where the polynomial has a zero constant term is reducible. For example there definitely is not a unique factorisation of the element 2 into irreducibles- infact there isn't any factorisation of 2 into irreducibles as far as I can see, nor (do I think!) is it a unit.

(I've just found a bit on wikipedia saying 'any field is trivially a UFD' which now makes sense to me but obviously my example is not a field).

Zoe-b said:
Ok I completely missed that the polynomial can have a constant term (being slow) so yes I think you're right, 3 is irreducible. But I still can't see whether or not it is a unique factorisation domain as any element where the polynomial has a zero constant term is reducible. For example there definitely is not a unique factorisation of the element 2 into irreducibles- infact there isn't any factorisation of 2 into irreducibles as far as I can see, nor (do I think!) is it a unit.

(I've just found a bit on wikipedia saying 'any field is trivially a UFD' which now makes sense to me but obviously my example is not a field).

None of the fractional powers of 2 have inverses in this ring since negative powers are excluded. So two factorizations will be in-equivalent. How about two factorizations of the square root of 2?

Related to Unique Factorisation Domains/Fields

1. What is a Unique Factorisation Domain/Field?

A Unique Factorisation Domain/Field is a mathematical concept in abstract algebra that refers to a type of commutative ring/field in which every non-zero and non-unit element can be uniquely expressed as a product of irreducible elements (prime elements or prime polynomials).

2. What are the properties of Unique Factorisation Domains/Fields?

Unique Factorisation Domains/Fields possess several important properties, including being commutative, having a unique prime factorisation for each non-zero and non-unit element, and having a cancellation law for multiplication.

3. How are Unique Factorisation Domains/Fields different from other types of rings/fields?

Unique Factorisation Domains/Fields are distinguished from other types of rings/fields by their ability to uniquely factorize non-zero and non-unit elements into prime elements or prime polynomials. This property is not present in all rings/fields.

4. What is the significance of Unique Factorisation Domains/Fields in mathematics?

Unique Factorisation Domains/Fields have many applications in various areas of mathematics, including number theory, algebraic geometry, and cryptography. They also serve as important examples in the study of abstract algebra and can help in understanding the structure and properties of other types of rings/fields.

5. Are there any real-world applications of Unique Factorisation Domains/Fields?

Unique Factorisation Domains/Fields have practical applications in cryptography, where they are used to create secure encryption algorithms. They also have applications in coding theory, which is used in data compression and error-correction codes. Additionally, they have been used in the study of polynomial equations and their roots in engineering and physics.