How Do You Convert Seconds to Nanoseconds in Scientific Notation?

In summary, to convert ##1.66 \times 10^{-7} s## to ##ns##, you can use the thought process of multiplying the quantity you want to convert by "1", where the "1" is a fraction that is set up to cancel the old units with the denominator and result in the new units of the numerator. This results in ##166 ns##, as 1 nanosecond is equal to ##1 \times 10^{-9} s##.
ChiralSuperfields
Homework Statement
Please see below
Relevant Equations
Please see below
How do you convert ##1.66 \times 10^{-7} s ## to ##ns##? I know the answer is ##166 ns = 160 \times 10^{-9} s## however what is the thought process?

Many thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Callumnc1 said:
Homework Statement:: Please see below
Relevant Equations:: Please see below

How do you convert ##1.66 \times 10^-7 s ## to ##ns##? I know the answer is ##166 ns## however what is the thought process?

Many thanks!
Do you know what "ns" MEANS ?

Likes ChiralSuperfields
phinds said:
Do you know what "ns" MEANS ?
Thanks for you reply @phinds! It means nanoseconds.

Callumnc1 said:
Thanks for you reply @phinds! It means nanoseconds.
And how do you express that in seconds?

Likes ChiralSuperfields
phinds said:
And how do you express that in seconds?
THanks for you reply @phinds! ## 1s = 1 \times 10^{-9} ns ##. Oh I think I know where you going with this.

Last edited:
Callumnc1 said:
THanks for you reply @phinds! ## 1s = 1 \times 10^-9 ns ##. Oh I think I know where you going with this.
Sorry yeah it is just basic unit conversion.

##1.66 \times 10^{-7}s \times \frac {1ns} {1 \times10^{-9}s} = 166 ns ##

Last edited:
Right, except you have 1.6 where the original says 1.66

Likes ChiralSuperfields
phinds said:
Right, except you have 1.6 where the original says 1.66
Oh whoops sorry @phinds! I'll fix that up.

Callumnc1 said:
Sorry yeah it is just basic unit conversion.

##1.66 \times 10^{-7} \times \frac {1ns} {1 \times10^{-9}s} = 166 ns ##
Yes, the thought process is to multiply the quantity you want to convert by "1", where the "1" is a fraction that is set up to cancel the old units with the denominator and result in the new units of the numerator. (the only thing you are missing in your equation that I quoted is to include the units of "s" in the first quantity, so that can be canceled by the denominator's "s" units in the multiplication)

I still remember my first semester "Introduction to Engineering" class, where a TA explained this trick to the class, and we all looked at each other like "Wow, I never thought of it like that before!". It's a simple trick, but very useful. :smile:

Likes ChiralSuperfields
berkeman said:
Yes, the thought process is to multiply the quantity you want to convert by "1", where the "1" is a fraction that is set up to cancel the old units with the denominator and result in the new units of the numerator. (the only thing you are missing in your equation that I quoted is to include the units of "s" in the first quantity, so that can be canceled by the denominator's "s" units in the multiplication)

I still remember my first semester "Introduction to Engineering" class, where a TA explained this trick to the class, and we all looked at each other like "Wow, I never thought of it like that before!". It's a simple trick, but very useful. :smile:
Thank you @berkeman - nice to see the thought process explained!

Likes berkeman
Callumnc1 said:
THanks for you reply @phinds! ## 1s = 1 \times 10^{-9} ns ##. Oh I think I know where you going with this.

Looks like a sign error! (or a VERY strange second)

Likes ChiralSuperfields
Tom.G said:
Looks like a sign error! (or a VERY strange second)
Haha, yes @Tom.G , I'm still working on my LaTex :)

1. What is unit conversion and why is it important?

Unit conversion is the process of converting a quantity from one unit to another. It is important because it allows us to compare and understand measurements in different units, and it is necessary for accurate calculations and data analysis in science.

2. How do I convert between units?

To convert between units, you need to know the conversion factor, which is the numerical relationship between the two units. You can then multiply the quantity by the conversion factor to get the equivalent value in the desired unit. It is important to pay attention to the units and make sure they cancel out correctly in the calculation.

3. What is the metric system and why is it commonly used in unit conversion?

The metric system is a system of measurement based on the decimal system, where units are related by powers of 10. It is commonly used in unit conversion because it is a standardized system used globally, making it easier to communicate and compare measurements between different countries and disciplines.

4. Can I convert between different types of units, such as length to volume?

No, you cannot convert between different types of units, as they measure different physical quantities. For example, length measures distance, while volume measures the amount of space occupied by a substance. To convert between different types of units, you would need to use additional information or equations.

5. What are some common unit prefixes used in unit conversion?

Some common unit prefixes used in unit conversion are kilo (k), centi (c), milli (m), and micro (μ). These prefixes represent multiples or fractions of the base unit and make it easier to work with very large or small numbers. For example, 1 kilometer is equal to 1000 meters, and 1 milliliter is equal to 0.001 liters.