Unitary Representation of Poincaré Group: Classical Relativistic Mechanics

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the conversation discusses a recent paper that presents an operational version of classical relativistic dynamics based on an irreducible representation of the Poincaré group. The paper includes kets, Schrödinger equation, Heisenberg equation, and unitary transformations, and has notable features such as the commutation of position and momentum operators and the transformation of the position operator as a Newton-Wigner operator. The meaning of Cassimir operators in this formalism is also discussed and raises questions about their role in quantum mechanics. Overall, the paper offers a unique perspective on classical relativistic dynamics and bridges the gap between classical and quantum mechanics.
andresB
This thread is a shameless self-promotion of a recent work of mine: https://arxiv.org/abs/2105.13882

In the paper an operational version of classical relativistic dynamics (for massive particles) is obtained from an irreducible representation of the Poincaré group. The formalism has kets, Schrödinger equation, Heisenberg equation, unitary transformations and all that stuff.

The representation of the Poincaré group is quite different from anything used in relativistic quantum theories that I know of.

A list of notable features:
- Position and momentum operators commute.
- Position operator transforms as a Newton-Wigner operator.
- Relativistic Hamiltonian mechanics is recovered.
- Not worked out in the paper, but the meaning of the Cassimir operators is highly obscure. Contrasting heavily with he central role they play in QM.

Last edited:
Likes Dale and fresh_42
Physics news on Phys.org

Dear fellow scientist,

First of all, congratulations on your recent work and thank you for sharing it with the community. I am always excited to see new and innovative approaches to understanding complex concepts such as classical relativistic dynamics.

Your paper seems to offer a unique perspective on the representation of the Poincaré group and its connection to classical relativistic dynamics. I am particularly intrigued by the fact that your formalism includes kets, Schrödinger equation, Heisenberg equation, and unitary transformations, which are all fundamental elements of quantum mechanics. It appears that your approach bridges the gap between classical and quantum mechanics, which is a fascinating contribution to the field.

I am also intrigued by the fact that your formalism has notable features such as the commutation of position and momentum operators and the transformation of the position operator as a Newton-Wigner operator. These are certainly unconventional features compared to what we are used to in relativistic quantum theories, and I am curious to see how they affect the understanding of classical dynamics.

Furthermore, your mention of the Cassimir operators and their obscure meaning in your formalism raises interesting questions about the role of these operators in quantum mechanics. I am sure that further exploration of this aspect will shed more light on the fundamental differences between classical and quantum mechanics.

Overall, your work seems to offer a fresh and unique perspective on classical relativistic dynamics, and I am eager to read your paper and delve deeper into your formalism. Thank you again for sharing your work with us, and I look forward to seeing more of your contributions to the scientific community.

1. What is the Poincaré group?

The Poincaré group is a mathematical concept that describes the symmetries of space and time in special relativity. It consists of all possible transformations that leave the laws of physics unchanged, including translations, rotations, and boosts.

2. What is a unitary representation?

A unitary representation is a mathematical way of describing how a group of symmetries acts on a vector space. In the context of the Poincaré group, it describes how the symmetries of space and time affect the physical quantities of a system.

3. How does the Poincaré group relate to classical relativistic mechanics?

The Poincaré group is the mathematical framework that underlies classical relativistic mechanics. It allows us to describe the symmetries of space and time and how they affect the motion of particles in a relativistic context.

4. What is the significance of the unitary representation of the Poincaré group?

The unitary representation of the Poincaré group is significant because it allows us to describe the fundamental symmetries of the universe and how they affect physical systems. It also provides a mathematical framework for studying relativistic mechanics and quantum field theory.

5. How is the unitary representation of the Poincaré group used in physics?

The unitary representation of the Poincaré group is used in many areas of physics, including special relativity, quantum mechanics, and quantum field theory. It allows us to understand the fundamental symmetries of the universe and make predictions about the behavior of physical systems in a relativistic context.