Units of Kerr Understanding Mass & Angular Momentum

• A
  • Thread starter swampwiz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kerr Units
In summary, the paper discusses the Kerr solution for the case of { M4 > J2 } where M is mass and J is angular momentum. In geometric units, where G = c = 1, mass and time have the same dimension of length, resulting in angular momentum having units of M L2 T-1. This can be explained by using the conversion factors c and G.
swampwiz
I was reading this paper, and I got confused:

https://projecteuclid.org/journals/...ws-of-black-hole-mechanics/cmp/1103858973.pdf

It discusses the Kerr solution for the case of { M4 > J2 } where M is mass & J is angular momentum. However it seems that angular momentum should have the units { M L2 T-1 }, which would means that M is equivalent to { L2 T-1 }. I could see how M is equivalent to { L2 T-2 }.

What am I missing here?

Physics news on Phys.org
swampwiz said:
I was reading this paper, and I got confused:

https://projecteuclid.org/journals/...ws-of-black-hole-mechanics/cmp/1103858973.pdf

It discusses the Kerr solution for the case of { M4 > J2 } where M is mass & J is angular momentum. However it seems that angular momentum should have the units { M L2 T-1 }, which would means that M is equivalent to { L2 T-1 }. I could see how M is equivalent to { L2 T-2 }.

What am I missing here?
I assume the paper is using natural units, where mass length and time all have the same dimension of length.

PeroK said:
I assume the paper is using natural units, where mass length and time all have the same dimension of length.
OK, so it seems that you are saying that the constants c & G are to be used in order to get the units to match up?

Likes malawi_glenn
swampwiz said:
it seems that angular momentum should have the units { M L2 T-1 }, which would means that M is equivalent to { L2 T-1 }.
In the "geometric units" commonly used in GR, where ##G = c = 1##, this is true, because mass ##M## has units of length (the conversion factor is ##G / c^2## in conventional units) and so does time ##T## (the conversion factor is just ##c## in conventional units). So angular momentum ##J## has units of ##M L^2 T^{-1} = L L^2 L^{-1} = L^2##, i.e., the square of the unit of mass.

Likes malawi_glenn

1. What is the unit of mass in Kerr Understanding Mass & Angular Momentum?

The unit of mass in Kerr Understanding Mass & Angular Momentum is typically measured in kilograms (kg).

2. How is angular momentum measured in Kerr Understanding Mass & Angular Momentum?

Angular momentum is typically measured in units of kilograms multiplied by meters squared per second (kg·m^2/s).

3. What is the relationship between mass and angular momentum in Kerr Understanding Mass & Angular Momentum?

In Kerr Understanding Mass & Angular Momentum, mass and angular momentum are directly proportional to each other. This means that an increase in mass will result in an increase in angular momentum, and vice versa.

4. How is mass and angular momentum calculated in Kerr Understanding Mass & Angular Momentum?

Mass and angular momentum can be calculated using the formula: L = mvr, where L is angular momentum, m is mass, v is velocity, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation.

5. Can the units of mass and angular momentum be converted to other units in Kerr Understanding Mass & Angular Momentum?

Yes, the units of mass and angular momentum can be converted to other units as long as the conversion factor is known. For example, mass in kilograms can be converted to grams by multiplying by 1000. Angular momentum in kg·m^2/s can be converted to joule-seconds (J·s) by multiplying by 1.