Units used on Voyager golden record

In summary, the units for distance, time, and mass are similar to natural units (Planck constant, speed of light, etc.), except that the basic unit is not GeV. The unit of energy is the energy difference between two lowest states of hydrogen atoms, the unit of frequency is the frequency of this particle, the unit of time corresponds to this frequency, and the unit of mass is the energy and mass-energy equivalence.
Lojzek
I would like to understand how units of distance, time and mass are defined on
the golden record on Voyager spacecraft .

I suppose the units are similar to natural units (speed of light=Planck constant=1), except that the basic unit is not GeV:

The unit of energy is the energy difference between two lowest states of hydrogen atom. I think the unit of frequency can be calculated from the unit of energy using Planck constant. The unit of time follows from unit of frequency. Unit of distance is the distance traveled by light in one unit of time.
Unit of mass follows from unit of energy and mass-energy equivalence.

Questions:
1. Is the above consideration correct?
2. How big is the energy difference between two lowest hydrogen energy states?
3. Does the length of the line between scheme of two hydrogen energy states on the record have any meaning? How long is it? Is it equal to the unit of distance?
4. Do you know any good links to information about this topic?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
This is not a direct answer to your question.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pioneer_plaque

You may recall that the earlier Pioneer spacecraft had a plaque depicting a man a woman standing in front of an outline of the spacecraft , a sketch of the solar system, etc.

The 21 cm unit was used. binary numbers were attached to lengths on that plaque, to show scale.

The H hyperfine transition was depicted, to give some physical basis for the 21 cm unit.
==================

The voyager mission came later, with its "golden record".
I gather that images were encoded on record as well as music.
Presumably some of these images would have displayed units.
As you suggest, some of the units might have been Planck units.
I suppose they might have also used other reference quantities. Perhaps a la Pioneer?

I think I understand the units now.

The unit of distance/the difference between two lowest energy states of hydrogen atoms is:

E0=5.9*10^-6 eV

A quantum particle with this energy has a frequency:

f0=E/h=1.4*10^9 Hz

The unit of time corresponds to this frequency:

t0=1/f=7*10^-10 s

The unit of distance is path traveled by light in this time:

s0=c*t0=0.21 m

The small line connecting the pictures of hydrogen atoms is much smaller than 21 cm, so it's length probably doesn't have any meaning. It seems the unit of distance can only be calculated from hydrogen energy levels.
I wonder why the unit wasn't drawn on the record, since it could easily fit the record size.

1. What units were used to measure time on the Voyager golden record?

The units used to measure time on the Voyager golden record were based on the Atomic Time Scale, specifically the International Atomic Time (TAI) system. TAI measures time in seconds with a precision of up to 10^-16 seconds.

2. How were distances represented on the Voyager golden record?

Distances on the Voyager golden record were represented using the astronomical unit (AU), which is the average distance between the Earth and the Sun. This unit was chosen to provide a universal reference point for other civilizations to understand the scale of our solar system.

3. Were any non-metric units included on the Voyager golden record?

Yes, the Voyager golden record also included non-metric units such as inches and feet. These units were used to represent the size of the spacecraft itself, as well as human height and average body temperature. This was done to provide a relatable scale for potential extraterrestrial recipients of the record.

4. How were frequencies and wavelengths represented on the Voyager golden record?

Frequencies and wavelengths were represented using the metric system, specifically the unit hertz (Hz) for frequency and the unit meter (m) for wavelength. This was done for consistency and ease of understanding for potential recipients of the record.

5. Were any units of measurement excluded from the Voyager golden record?

Yes, some units of measurement were intentionally excluded from the Voyager golden record. For example, units of weight were not included because they are dependent on local gravitational conditions and may not be easily understood by other civilizations. Additionally, units of measurement related to human anatomy were also excluded to avoid any potential misunderstandings or offense.