Universal gravitational, elliptical orbits

In summary, a spacecraft of mass 1000kg is in an elliptical orbit around Earth, with a distance of 1.2 x 107 meters and a velocity of 7.1 x 103 meters per second. Its velocity vector is perpendicular to the line connecting the center of Earth to the spacecraft. The mass of Earth is 6.0 x 1024 kg and the radius is 6.4 x 106 meters. The problem is to find the magnitude of the angular momentum of the spacecraft about the center of Earth. Using the equations L = I, L = r x p, and L = v/r, the solution involves finding the angular velocity by dividing v by r and then multiplying by the moment of
carbon_mc
1. Homework Statement
a spacecraft of mass 1000kg, in an elliptical orbit about the earth, at one point its distance from Earth is 1.2 x 107 meters and its velocity is 7.1 x 103 meters per sec, and the velocity vector is perpendicular to the line connecting the center of the Earth to the spacecraft . Mass of Earth is 6.0 x 1024 kg and radius of Earth is 6.4 x 106
Find the magnitude of the angular moemntum of the spacecraft about the center of the earth

2. Homework Equations

L = I
L = r x p
= v/r
3. The Attempt at a Solution

ok so I know that energy and angular momentum is conserved. I know how to solve this but I just want to make sure. Do I just do this by finding the angular velocity by = v/r then multiplied by I which equals to mr2 . it sounds really weird so I just want to make sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
wasn't this posted not long ago?

1. What is universal gravitation?

Universal gravitation is a physical law that explains the force of attraction between two objects due to their masses. It states that every object in the universe attracts every other object with a force that is directly proportional to their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. What are elliptical orbits?

An elliptical orbit is a type of orbital path followed by an object around another object due to their gravitational attraction. It is characterized by a flattened shape, with the object orbiting at one of the two foci of the ellipse. This type of orbit is seen in many celestial bodies, including planets, moons, and comets.

3. How does universal gravitation affect elliptical orbits?

Universal gravitation is responsible for the shape of elliptical orbits. It is the force of gravity between two objects that causes one to orbit around the other in an elliptical path. The strength of this force depends on the masses of the objects and the distance between them. The more massive the objects, the stronger the gravitational force, resulting in a more elliptical orbit.

4. What is the role of the semi-major axis in an elliptical orbit?

The semi-major axis is one of the two axes of an ellipse, with the other being the semi-minor axis. In an elliptical orbit, the semi-major axis represents the distance between the center of the ellipse and one of its foci. It is a crucial parameter in determining the shape and size of an elliptical orbit, as well as the orbital period of the object.

5. How do objects move in an elliptical orbit?

Objects in an elliptical orbit move in an elliptical path around another object due to the gravitational force between them. As the objects move closer together, the force of gravity increases, causing the orbiting object to accelerate towards the other object. As they move further apart, the force of gravity decreases, causing the orbiting object to slow down. This results in an elliptical orbit, where the object's speed changes depending on its position in the orbit.