Universe Expansion: Does Less Dense Mean Boundaries?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of the universe expanding and whether this means it is less dense or has measurable boundaries. It also mentions the existence of far away galaxies and the role of dark energy in the expansion of the universe. The conversation concludes with a debate about the Big Bang theory and its connection to spacetime.
MagneticMagic
TL;DR Summary
General question around expansion
If the universe is "expanding", does that mean less dense, or does that mean there are measurable boundaries?

With very far away galaxies that stay "alive" for a "short" time, is most of the very distant observable-from-earth universes now gone?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
MagneticMagic said:
If the universe is "expanding", does that mean less dense,
Yes.
MagneticMagic said:
does that mean there are measurable boundaries?
Not that we're aware of. And any boundaries raise the question of what's outside them, so no boundary (either infinite or finite but closed) is the simpler model.
MagneticMagic said:
With very far away galaxies that stay "alive" for a "short" time, is most of the very distant observable-from-earth universes now gone?
I don't know what you're trying to ask here. But it's worth noting that the universe seems to be pretty much the same everywhere, so far away galaxies are expected to be like nearby ones.

To have expansion you need measurable boundaries. I can't find a way around this. If I look at the stretch explanation, like a rubber baloon, a reference point on the surface would see things around it "expanding" away, but this does take away the actual balloon boundary envelope.

If on the other hand I define space-time as being everywhere without a boundary, then all I get is a system that is becoming less dense.

If yet on another hand I look at space-time itself is stretching out without boundaries, things moving in the space-time can appear to be moving faster than light.

And then I wonder about dark energy, massless energy. There's a whole bunch of study around inflation to explain how some galaxies are so far away when there was not enough elapsed time since the "big bang". Why can't massless dark energy travel faster than light? If we follow a BB theory could we not have large sums of dark energy zip out into the abyss of space-time faster than light, magnitudes faster, and then some or that dark energy coalesces into galaxies far far away?

I can't seem to grasp why BB theory wants to wrap in it space-time. Why is the BB simply not an event of energy (mass and massless) in some infinitely large pre-existing space-time?

MagneticMagic said:
To have expansion you need measurable boundaries.
Bang a line of stakes in the ground. Come back in a little while and see if the stakes are further apart. If they are then the line is expanding. No need for any boundary.
MagneticMagic said:
I can't seem to grasp why BB theory wants to wrap in it space-time. Why is the BB simply not an event of energy (mass and massless) in some infinitely large pre-existing space-time?
Because it's a result of general relativity, which is a theory of the dynamics of spacetime. The big bang cannot be an event in a pre-existing spacetime because if it were it would have a center, and it does not. This is one of several reasons why your speculation about dark energy is baseless.

Likes Vanadium 50
Thread locked.

1. What is universe expansion and how does it work?

Universe expansion is the theory that the universe is constantly growing and expanding. This expansion is driven by dark energy, a mysterious force that counteracts the force of gravity and causes the universe to expand at an accelerating rate.

2. How do we know that the universe is expanding?

Scientists have observed the redshift of light from distant galaxies, which is evidence that they are moving away from us. This redshift is caused by the stretching of light waves as the universe expands. Additionally, the cosmic microwave background radiation, leftover from the Big Bang, shows a pattern of temperature fluctuations that can only be explained by an expanding universe.

3. Does the expansion of the universe mean there are boundaries?

The concept of boundaries in the universe is still a topic of debate among scientists. Some theories suggest that the universe is infinite and has no boundaries, while others propose that the universe is finite and has a boundary. However, the expansion of the universe does not necessarily mean there are physical boundaries.

4. How does the density of the universe affect its expansion?

The density of the universe plays a crucial role in its expansion. If the density is high enough, the universe will eventually stop expanding and collapse in on itself in a "Big Crunch." If the density is too low, the universe will continue to expand forever. Currently, the density of the universe is believed to be just right for it to continue expanding at an accelerating rate.

5. Does a less dense universe mean there are fewer galaxies or stars?

The density of the universe does not necessarily determine the number of galaxies or stars within it. The distribution of matter within the universe is not uniform, so there can be regions with high density and regions with low density. Additionally, the expansion of the universe does not affect the number of galaxies or stars, but rather the distance between them.