Universe: Is it Nothing? | Steven

In summary: Hi, Steven. Thanks for taking the time to answer my question.In summary, the concept of "gravitational energy" can only be defined in certain circumstances, and the universe is not closed. The zero energy universe is basically an accounting trick.
Stephanus
Dear PF forum,

I once read that the universe IS nothing. And "FROM", too.
But I like to ask about "IS".
They say that "Gravity" is negative energy. So if you add all the masses and energies and gravity, it would be zero.
What I'd like to ask is this.
A. Is all Mass + Energy + Gravity = 0?
B. Is all Mass + Energy + Dark Matter + Dark Energy + Gravity = 0?
C. Is all Mass + Energy + Dark Matter + Dark Energy + x + Gravity = 0?
- Is there any other factor beside Mass + Energy + Dark Matter + Dark Energy + Gravity?
- If so, what is "x"?
D. Or we should say X + Y = 0?
- Is the factors is correct? What is X + Y produces zero? Is that Gravity? Mass? Energy? Something else?
E. How is Gravity" negative energy? (if this is true)
F. Is it true that the universe is "nothing"? (Remember, I'm not asking about "from", but "is" :smile:)

Thanks for taking some efforts to answerSteven

Space news on Phys.org
Stephanus said:
They say that "Gravity" is negative energy. So if you add all the masses and energies and gravity, it would be zero.

The concept of "gravitational energy" can only be defined in certain situations. In the case of cosmology, it only works if the universe is closed (so that it has finite spatial volume). (AFAIK this model also only works if there is no dark energy; see below.) To the best of our current knowledge, our universe is not closed, so this kind of model does not apply to our universe.

Even when the model does apply, it doesn't really tell you anything. It gives an equation for something that can be called "total energy of the universe" and says that it is zero. But this equation is really an identity; it doesn't tell you anything about the dynamics of the universe.

Likes Stephanus
The zero energy universe is basically an accounting trick.The idea came out of quantum physics where particles and anti particles can spontaneously pop into existence for a short period of time limited by their mass. See http://www.webcitation.org/6SOdzjRHd for discussion.

Likes Stephanus
PeterDonis said:
To the best of our current knowledge, our universe is not closed, so this kind of model does not apply to our universe.
It's maybe more correct to say that the universe is flat to within half a percent. That's not the same as knowing that it's not closed.

Likes Stephanus and jim mcnamara
Hello again Bapowell. Thanks for taking effort answering me.
You've answered my question about Observable Universe, remember? :smile:

Hello Chronos, glad to meet you again. Last time you've responded to my posting "Big Bang Temperature and Observable Universe"

Hello PeterDonis. Is it true if that the total energy of the universe is really zero?

Anybody?

Thanks for giving me answer then and later :smile:

Stephanus said:
Is it true if that the total energy of the universe is really zero?
Hello, Stephanus. This is not currently known. As Peter mentions above, the concept of "total gravitational energy" only applies in select circumstances. If the universe is closed, it can be said to have zero total energy; however, we don't know the global geometry of the universe because we can only observe the geometry of the observable universe. The observable universe appears flat to a high degree, but this is only a local probe.

Likes Stephanus
Einstein insisted the universe must be closed after realizing his field equations were otherwise ill behaved.

Likes Stephanus
Chronos said:
Einstein insisted the universe must be closed after realizing his field equations were otherwise ill behaved.

Ill-behaved in what way? The current best-fit cosmological model has the universe being spatially infinite, and the EFE works fine.

Likes Stephanus

1. What is the concept of "nothing" in the universe?

The concept of "nothing" in the universe can be difficult to define because it is often used as a relative term. In the context of the universe, "nothing" can refer to the absence of matter, energy, or any other physical entity. However, some scientists argue that even in seemingly empty space, there is still something present, such as dark matter or quantum fluctuations.

2. Is the universe truly infinite?

This is a debated topic among scientists and there is currently no consensus. Some theories suggest that the universe is infinite and has no boundaries, while others propose that it is finite and may have a curved or compact shape. The true nature of the universe's size and shape is still a mystery and is an active area of research.

3. How did the universe come into existence?

The answer to this question is still unknown and is a topic of ongoing research and debate. Some theories propose the idea of a Big Bang, where the universe expanded rapidly from a singularity. Other theories, such as the steady state theory, suggest that the universe has always existed in a constant state of expansion. The exact cause of the universe's origin is still a mystery.

4. Are there other universes besides our own?

There is currently no solid evidence to support the existence of other universes besides our own. However, some theories, such as the multiverse theory, suggest that there may be multiple universes with different physical laws and properties. This is still a highly debated topic and is not yet proven.

5. How do we know what the universe is made of?

Scientists use various methods to study and understand the composition of the universe. One way is through observation, using telescopes and other instruments to study the light and radiation emitted from different objects in the universe. Another method is through experiments, such as colliding particles in large accelerators to study their properties. Through these methods, scientists have been able to determine that the universe is primarily made up of dark matter and dark energy, as well as visible matter such as stars, planets, and galaxies.