[University Hydrology]-Creating a storm hydrograph from a 60 minute UH

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of creating a storm hydrograph from a 60-minute unit hydrograph in 5-minute intervals. The speaker has tried lagging the unit hydrograph by 60 minutes for each net rainfall block, but this resulted in an odd hydrograph when plotted. They also mention that lagging the UH by 5-minute intervals seems like a more appropriate approach, but they are unsure if it is the correct method. The speaker offers to attach their spreadsheet for further assistance.
kingdomcome123
Homework Statement
[University Hydrology] - Creating a storm hydrograph from a 60 minute unit hydrograph with hourly net rainfall.
Relevant Equations
None
Hi guys,

not sure if anyone can help me but I'm having a bit of an issue with creating a storm hydrograph from a 60 min unit hydrograph that is in 5 minute intervals.

I've lagged the unit hydrograph by 60 minutes each net rainfall block while multiplying the respective net rainfall to the respective UH values but it gives me a really odd hydrograph when i plot it.

If i lag the UH by the 5 minute intervals for each net rainfall block i get a more respectable shape but it doesn't seem like its the right way to do it.

--------------------------------------
I can attach my spreadsheet if needed
60min UH.png

[Moderator's note: Approved.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is a storm hydrograph?

A storm hydrograph is a graph that shows the response of a river or stream to a specific storm event. It displays the change in water flow over time, typically measured in hours, during and after a storm.

2. How do you create a storm hydrograph?

To create a storm hydrograph, you need to collect data on the water flow of a river or stream before, during, and after a storm event. This data is then plotted on a graph with time on the x-axis and water flow on the y-axis. The resulting graph shows the change in water flow over time, which can help in understanding the impact of a storm on a water system.

3. What is a 60 minute UH?

A 60 minute UH, or University Hydrology, is a standardized method for representing the response of a watershed to a storm event. It involves dividing the storm into 60-minute intervals and determining the amount of water that enters the watershed during each interval. This data is then used to create a storm hydrograph.

4. Why is it important to create a storm hydrograph?

Creating a storm hydrograph is important because it allows us to understand the impact of a storm on a water system. It can help in predicting potential flooding, erosion, and other effects of a storm. It also provides valuable information for water resource management and planning.

5. What factors can affect the shape of a storm hydrograph?

The shape of a storm hydrograph can be affected by various factors, including the size and intensity of the storm, the characteristics of the watershed, and the land use in the area. Human activities such as urbanization and deforestation can also impact the shape of a storm hydrograph.