How Do You Solve This Composite Function Problem?

In summary, when trying to find f(x) given f(f(x)-x2) = x2-5x+3, it is reasonable to assume that f(x) is a polynomial. By considering the degrees of f(x)-x2 and f(f(x)-x2), one can determine the possible degrees of f(x) and use this information to find a suitable approach for finding f(x).
songoku

Homework Statement

Find f(x) given that f ( f(x) - x2) = x2 - 5x + 3

Homework Equations

Not sure

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried assuming f(x) = ax + b and use composite function but end up wrong. Please give me idea to start

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
songoku said:

Homework Statement

Find f(x) given that f ( f(x) - x2) = x2 - 5x + 3

Homework Equations

Not sure

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried assuming f(x) = ax + b and use composite function but end up wrong. Please give me idea to start

Thanks
It seems reasonable to assume that f(x) is a polynomial.

If you compose linear function and a quadratic you get a quadratic function.

One way to do that is for f(x) to be linear, which is what you tried & you say doesn't work.

Another way is for f(x) to be a quadratic such that f(x) - x2 is linear.

Try that.

Likes songoku
SammyS said:
It seems reasonable to assume that f(x) is a polynomial.

If you compose linear function and a quadratic you get a quadratic function.

One way to do that is for f(x) to be linear, which is what you tried & you say doesn't work.

Another way is for f(x) to be a quadratic such that f(x) - x2 is linear.

Try that.

Thank you very much

To turn Sammy's remarks into a general approach, suppose f is a polynomial degree n. What are the possible degrees of f(x)-x2? What, then, are the possible degrees of f(f(x)-x2)?

Likes songoku

Related to How Do You Solve This Composite Function Problem?

What is an unknown composite function?

An unknown composite function is a mathematical function that is formed by combining two or more simpler functions. The exact nature of the functions and how they are combined is not known, hence the term "unknown".

How is an unknown composite function different from a regular composite function?

In a regular composite function, the individual functions and how they are combined are known. In an unknown composite function, the specific functions and how they are combined are not known.

What makes studying unknown composite functions important?

Studying unknown composite functions allows us to better understand the patterns and relationships between different functions. It also helps us develop problem-solving skills and mathematical intuition.

How can I solve an unknown composite function?

Solving an unknown composite function involves using algebraic techniques to manipulate the function and determine the values of the unknown functions. Trial and error, as well as substitution, can also be helpful in solving these types of functions.

What are some real-life applications of unknown composite functions?

Unknown composite functions are used in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer science to model complex systems and make predictions. They are also used in cryptography and data encryption to create secure algorithms.