Unknown DC motor Specifications

In summary, two individuals were searching for usable parts in a college lab for a product design course and came across a medium-sized motor with no specifications. They tested it with a 12V power source and it worked, but they are looking for an easy apparatus to test for its specifications. Suggestions included using a dynamometer or a tachometer to measure the motor's rpm and a multimeter to measure its rotor resistance. Another option is to apply a varying load on the shaft to measure the current and voltage, which would provide a complete motor curve for future use.
teknodude
Me and another person were rummaging through one of my colleges labs looking for usable parts for my groups product design course. We found this medium size motor that weighed about 2-3 pounds. The problem is that there were no stickers at all that indicated its specifications. There were a few numerical engravings, but without words it was hopeless. We hooked it up to a 12 V power source and it powered up fine. Does anyone know of an easy apparatus we can set up to test for its specifications? Maybe hook it up to an arm and having the arm depress a scale?

Engineering news on Phys.org
teknodude said:
Me and another person were rummaging through one of my colleges labs looking for usable parts for my groups product design course. We found this medium size motor that weighed about 2-3 pounds. The problem is that there were no stickers at all that indicated its specifications. There were a few numerical engravings, but without words it was hopeless. We hooked it up to a 12 V power source and it powered up fine. Does anyone know of an easy apparatus we can set up to test for its specifications? Maybe hook it up to an arm and having the arm depress a scale?

A dynamometer will help identify some of it's properties.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamometer

What was engraved on the motor? Is it DC or AC?

CS

It's a DC motor. I'll post what was engraved on the motor on monday. I put the motor in my schools machine shop for storage, and they're not open on the weekend... Also I'll check if they have a dynometer that I can check out.

just find some tachometer, find its rpm.
get a multimeter, find its rotor resistance.
everything can be pretty much calculated from these two

The best way is to be able to apply a varying load on the shaft and then measure the current and voltage. That way you can vary the speed and get a calculation on power at various speeds. That will give you a complete motor curve that you can then use for whatever application you want. A dyno is exactly what this is for. You can try to improvise the loading mechanism though.

Related to Unknown DC motor Specifications

1. What is the voltage rating of the DC motor?

The voltage rating of a DC motor is the maximum voltage that can be applied to the motor without causing damage. This information is typically provided by the manufacturer and can range from a few volts to hundreds of volts.

2. How much current does the DC motor draw?

The current drawn by a DC motor depends on factors such as the load placed on the motor and the voltage applied to it. The current rating of a motor is usually provided by the manufacturer and can range from a few milliamps to several amps.

3. What is the maximum speed of the DC motor?

The maximum speed of a DC motor is determined by its design and specifications. This information is usually provided by the manufacturer and can range from a few hundred revolutions per minute (RPM) to tens of thousands of RPM.

4. How much torque can the DC motor produce?

The torque of a DC motor is a measure of its rotational force. It is affected by factors such as the motor's design, voltage, and current. The torque rating of a motor is typically provided by the manufacturer and can range from a few ounce-inches to hundreds of pound-inches.

5. What is the efficiency of the DC motor?

The efficiency of a DC motor is a measure of how well the motor converts electrical energy into mechanical energy. It is affected by factors such as the motor's design, operating conditions, and load. The efficiency of a motor is usually provided by the manufacturer and can range from 50% to 90% or higher.