Can We Ever Observe Inside a Black Hole's Event Horizon?

In summary, black holes are believed to exist in our universe due to the presence of event horizons, which are points where the physics stop making sense. It is currently unknown if there is a singularity inside these event horizons, and some physicists speculate that a theory of quantum gravity may show that classical singularities do not occur at the center of a black hole. Attempts to observe the inner workings of a black hole with telescopes are not possible due to the event horizon. However, there is hope that a theory of quantum gravity may provide a more plausible explanation for what occurs inside a black hole.
sandy stone
It appears that black holes do exist in our universe, in the sense that there are objects so massive and so small that there must be an event horizon. Is it generally accepted that there is "really" a singularity inside these event horizons, or that we just don't know, and may never know?

Physics news on Phys.org
Singularities aren't physical, they're just where the physics stop making sense due to a lack of knowledge.

I read somewhere that we'll hopefully be able to peer further into black holes with one of the telescopes being constructed now. I'll try to find the article when I'm on a computer.

elusiveshame said:
Singularities aren't physical, they're just where the physics stop making sense due to a lack of knowledge.
We don't really know this. It's possible that singularities are physical. A lot of physicists suspect that a theory of quantum gravity would show that classical singularities really stop blowing up when you get to the Planck scale. However, we don't know that, because we don't have a theory of quantum gravity.

elusiveshame said:
I read somewhere that we'll hopefully be able to peer further into black holes with one of the telescopes being constructed now. I'll try to find the article when I'm on a computer.
No. Black hole singularities are inside an event horizon, so you can't observe them from the outside using a telescope. You may be thinking of attempts to image the event horizon.

I should've make my "peeking in" a bit more specific: I didn't mean we would observe the singularity, but rather we would be able to peer a little bit inside of a BH, not so much observing the inner workings/singularity.

elusiveshame said:
I should've make my "peeking in" a bit more specific: I didn't mean we would observe the singularity, but rather we would be able to peer a little bit inside of a BH, not so much observing the inner workings/singularity.
Even "a little bit inside" is problematic. More likely, we will develop a theory of quantum gravity whose predictions match observations everywhere that we can observe (as does GR) but also predicts something more plausible than a singularity at the center of a black hole.

Likes bcrowell
elusiveshame said:
To amplify on what Nugatory said, you might want to look up the definition of an event horizon and think about it carefully. Simply as a matter of definition, you can't peek even a little inside an event horizon. (You could hypothesize that event horizons don't actually exist, or that GR describes them incorrectly, but that would be a different issue.)

Related to Can We Ever Observe Inside a Black Hole's Event Horizon?

1. What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region in space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, including light, can escape from it. This is due to the immense amount of matter squeezed into a small space, creating a gravitational field that is strong enough to prevent even light from escaping.

2. How are black holes formed?

Black holes are formed when a massive star runs out of fuel and collapses under its own gravity. As the star collapses, it becomes incredibly dense, and its gravitational pull becomes stronger. This results in a singularity, a point of infinite density at the center of the black hole, surrounded by an event horizon, the point of no return.

3. How do we study black holes?

Scientists use a variety of techniques to study black holes, including analyzing the effects of their gravity on surrounding matter, observing the radiation emitted from the accretion disk (a disk of matter that spirals into the black hole), and detecting gravitational waves produced by black hole mergers.

4. Can anything escape from a black hole?

Once an object crosses the event horizon of a black hole, it is impossible for it to escape. However, some particles can escape from the edges of the event horizon through a process called Hawking radiation, which occurs due to the quantum effects near the event horizon.

5. What is the significance of studying black holes?

Black holes are not only fascinating objects in space, but they also play a crucial role in shaping the universe. By studying black holes, scientists can gain a better understanding of gravity, spacetime, and the evolution of galaxies. Black holes also provide valuable insights into the fundamental laws of physics, such as the theory of relativity and quantum mechanics.