Unlocking the Power of Scroll Lock: Tips and Tricks for Excel Users

In summary, the conversation is about the function of the "scroll lock" button. It is commonly used in Microsoft Excel to navigate within a worksheet without deselecting the selected cell. The original poster asks if there are any other uses for this button, but later clarifies that they are looking for practical uses. One person mentions using it to switch between computers using a KVM switcher in a software development company.
DoItForYourself
Hi guys,

The only use of "scroll lock" I am aware of is in Ms Excel. If you press scroll lock after you have selected a cell, you can go up and down (within the worksheet) by pressing PgUp and PgDn without the cell being deselected.

Does anyone know other uses of "scroll lock" button?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Thank you, but I also searched google. It mainly refers to old/obsolete uses.

Perhaps, I put the question forward the wrong way. The question should be like this:

Does anyone know any practical use of "scroll lock"? Is there anyone out there that uses this button frequently and for what reason?

One use was in switching between computers using a KVM switcher. Its common to have one console at software development companies to have two or more computers hooked to the same keyboard, mouse and screen.

Likes DoItForYourself

What is Scroll Lock and how does it work?

Scroll Lock is a key on the keyboard that controls the scrolling function in Microsoft Excel. When it is turned on, the arrow keys will scroll through the spreadsheet instead of moving the cursor. This is useful when working with large spreadsheets.

How can I turn Scroll Lock on and off?

The Scroll Lock key is typically located near the top right corner of the keyboard, often labeled as "ScrLk". Pressing this key once will turn Scroll Lock on, and pressing it again will turn it off. On some keyboards, you may need to hold down the "Fn" key while pressing the Scroll Lock key.

What are some tips for using Scroll Lock in Excel?

Some useful tips for using Scroll Lock in Excel include using the arrow keys to quickly navigate through large spreadsheets, using the Ctrl key in combination with the arrow keys to select multiple cells, and using the Page Up and Page Down keys to scroll through the spreadsheet one screen at a time.

Can I customize the behavior of Scroll Lock in Excel?

Yes, you can customize the behavior of Scroll Lock in Excel by going to the "File" menu, selecting "Options", and then clicking on the "Advanced" tab. Under the "Editing options" section, you can choose to use the arrow keys for navigation, or to move the active cell selection.

Are there any other programs or applications that use Scroll Lock?

Yes, some other programs and applications may use Scroll Lock for various purposes. For example, in some video games, Scroll Lock may be used to toggle the mouse cursor on and off. It is always a good idea to check the documentation or settings of a specific program to see if Scroll Lock is used for any functions.