The Secrets of Regeneration: DNA and Re-Growth

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dna
In summary, when cut in half worms can regenerate lost body parts, but this usually only happens with the head.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
When cut in half they can regrow the severed part, but how?
is the information that enables this re growth encoded in the
DNA, what mechanism initiates this re growth.

Biology news on Phys.org
I'm no biologist, and all of this is from memory, so it's probably mostly wrong.

AFAIK, body part regeneration is controlled by the Hox genes, which essentially specify where all the body parts should be in an organism. If you take fruit flies and modify their Hox genes, they'll grow legs where their antennae should be, that sort of thing.

The Hox genes are responsible for expressing proteins or hormones that then instruct dividing stem cells in the body to differentiate into a specific kind of tissue. Differentiating cells figure out where they are in the body by essentially sniffing around for these chemical signals to see what's near them.

I also believe I have read that stem cells can be called into action by chemical signals of injury, and actually move through the body to the site of the injury to participate in the healing.

So, I believe the body part continues to grow from these stem cells until the proper location for say, skin is reached. Skin grows there, and the growth goes no further.

- Warren

chroot said:
AFAIK, body part regeneration is controlled by the Hox genes, which essentially specify where all the body parts should be in an organism. If you take fruit flies and modify their Hox genes, they'll grow legs where their antennae should be, that sort of thing.
Warren you are a trove of knowledge and an inspiring example:
inorganic techies and astronomers should all know about fruit flies and Hox genes as well
it is fascinating and it would do them good
Bravo.

I remember another detail.
Another thing that helps the severed worm is that
an earthworm (so my 9th grade science teacher told us)
can have multiple hearts----distributed all along its length

It might start out with 5 hearts and then it gets severed into
a piece with 2 and a piece with 3

so the pieces can keep functioning and can both thrive
and go around eating dirt as nature intended
and, in the course of time, grow longer

the earthworm is somewhat modular in design

its other organs including even its thinking apparatus
are distributed along its length, according to my teacher,
in a similarly modular fashion.

http://www.naturenorth.com/fall/ncrawler/ncrawlF.html

Worms can survive being cut in half! Well, for a little while, at least. It is usually only the head end that will regenerate some segments in the lower end and become a viable worm again. The lower end cannot regenerate a head. However, most often, when cut in half, worms die.

The "brain", "hearts" and other organs are clustered in the head end.

http://www.scaquarium.org/curriculum/iexplore/three_five/units/decompositionI/decomp_background.htm

Earthworms, like seastars, are also capable of regenerating lost body parts. Both the head and the tail of an earthworm can be regenerated, within limits. The extent of regeneration depends on the species, as well as on the position of the "wound" and the size of the worm fragment that remains

I searching to find info on the molecular biology of segment regenration but results have been limited.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to The Secrets of Regeneration: DNA and Re-Growth

1. What is DNA and how does it relate to regeneration?

DNA, or deoxyribonucleic acid, is the hereditary material found in nearly all living organisms. It is responsible for storing and passing on genetic information from one generation to the next. In terms of regeneration, DNA plays a crucial role in controlling the growth and development of cells, tissues, and organs.

2. Can DNA be manipulated to enhance regeneration?

Yes, DNA can be manipulated through techniques such as gene editing to help enhance regeneration. By targeting specific genes and altering their expression, scientists can potentially stimulate the regrowth of damaged or missing tissues and organs.

3. Are there any organisms that can regenerate lost body parts?

Yes, there are several organisms that have the ability to regenerate lost body parts. Some examples include salamanders, starfish, and planarians. These animals possess the ability to regrow not just skin or tissue, but also complex structures such as limbs and organs.

4. What are the potential applications of unlocking the secrets of regeneration?

The potential applications are vast and exciting. By understanding the mechanisms of regeneration at the DNA level, we could potentially develop new treatments for injuries and diseases that currently have no cure. We could also learn how to enhance the body's natural regenerative abilities, leading to improved healing and tissue repair.

5. What challenges do scientists face in unlocking the secrets of regeneration?

One of the main challenges is the complexity of the regenerative process. It involves a combination of genetic, cellular, and environmental factors, making it difficult to fully understand and manipulate. Additionally, ethical considerations and potential side effects of genetic modifications must be carefully considered in research and development.