Unplug Fridge During Below-30 Days?

In summary, a freezer should be kept on if below-30 days are predicted, but it is not necessary to keep them at very low temperatures.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Do I unplug or turn off fridge during spat of consecutive severely- cold days?
Hi All,
There have been a few below-30 days recently in many places in the upper hemisphere. Essentially, those days,we are putting food in the refrigerator to warm it up. If/when , say, 3+ days of below- 30 days are predicted, does it make sense to keep freezers on?

Physics news on Phys.org
WWGD said:
There have been a few below-30 days recently in many places in the upper hemisphere. Essentially, those days,we are putting food in the refrigerator to warm it up. If/when , say, 3+ days of below- 30 days are predicted, does it make sense to keep freezers on?
I wouldn't expect it to matter -- the thermostat in the fridge will just keep the compressor off.

Likes WWGD
Many cheap (frost-free) freezers will clog up with ice if they are operated in an ambient temperature below even moderately cold conditions. (The same can happen with cheap de-humidifiers. )
When buying a freezer for use outside a 'living area' it is important to check its ambient operating temperature range.
See this link for some background information.
The external heat exchanger of some freezers can clog up with ice, rather than allowing condensed water to drain away, even in mild conditions if the electric defrost heater control is not adequate.
@WWGD Whilst @russ_watters is probably right about operating at very low temperatures, the temperature of operation could pass through 'risky' temperature on the way down and the damage could be done already and a heat exchanger could be left full of ice which would need to defrost in its own time when you finally want to use the freezer. Defrosting is a real pain because all that ice is in an insulated space. Hand dryers and hot water may need to be applied in the innards and you may need to remove panels and grills. (I have been there and I 'know'.)

Likes WWGD

1. Why should I unplug my fridge during a below-30 day?

Unplugging your fridge during below-30 days can help save energy and reduce your electricity bill. It also helps prevent the fridge's compressor from overworking and potentially breaking down.

2. How long can I unplug my fridge without causing damage?

It is generally safe to unplug your fridge for up to 4 hours without causing any damage. However, it is recommended to only unplug it for short periods of time to ensure the food inside stays at a safe temperature.

3. Can I leave the fridge door open while it is unplugged?

No, it is not recommended to leave the fridge door open while it is unplugged. This can cause the temperature inside the fridge to rise, potentially spoiling the food inside.

4. Will unplugging my fridge affect its lifespan?

Unplugging your fridge for short periods of time will not significantly affect its lifespan. However, constantly unplugging and plugging it back in can put strain on the compressor and potentially shorten its lifespan.

5. Is it necessary to unplug my fridge during winter months?

It is not necessary to unplug your fridge during winter months, unless you will be away from home for an extended period of time. In this case, it is recommended to unplug the fridge to save energy and prevent potential damage from power outages or surges.