Unraveling the Complexity of a Limit Problem Involving ln(x)

• MHB
  • Thread starter Dethrone
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the conversation discusses a limit problem involving the application of L'Hopital's rule. The limit is found to be equal to the cosine of a specific value, using the property that the limit of a product is equal to the product of the limits.
Dethrone
I'm having trouble with this limit. It gets complicated really quickly when I apply l'hopital's. Any hints?

$$\lim_{{x}\to{a^+}}\frac{\cos\left({x}\right)\ln\left({x-a}\right)}{\ln\left({e^x-e^a}\right)}$$

Physics news on Phys.org
Is the problem out of a book?

All the problems I post are from past Calc I exam papers. This question is worth 3 marks out of 100. Don't see why it would be so difficult (Headbang)

Hint:

\(\displaystyle \lim_{x\to a}\left[f(x)\cdot g(x)\right]=\lim_{x\to a}f(x)\cdot\lim_{x\to a}g(x)\)

edit: Never mind, the post below gives the complete solution.

Rido12 said:
I'm having trouble with this limit. It gets complicated really quickly when I apply l'hopital's. Any hints?

$$\lim_{{x}\to{a^+}}\frac{\cos\left({x}\right)\ln\left({x-a}\right)}{\ln\left({e^x-e^a}\right)}$$

The term cos x is not critical and You can look at the limit of...

$\displaystyle f(x) = \frac{\ln (x-a)}{\ln (e^{x} - e^{a})}\ (1)$

Now applying two times de l'Hopital You obtain...

$\displaystyle \lim_{x \rightarrow a+} \frac{\ln (x-a)}{\ln (e^{x} - e^{a})} = \lim_{x \rightarrow a+} e^{-x} \frac{e^{x} - e^{a}}{x - a} = \lim_{x \rightarrow a+} e^{-x}\ e^{x} = 1\ (2)$

... so that Your limit is [simply] cos a...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Let me see...I can't believe I didn't see that...

$$=\cos\left({a}\right)\lim_{{x}\to{a^+}}\frac{\ln\left({x-a}\right)}{\ln\left({e^x-e^a}\right)}$$
$$=\frac{\cos\left({a}\right)}{e^a}\lim_{{x}\to{a^+}}\frac{e^x-e^a}{x-a}$$
Applying my favorite trick :D
$$=\frac{\cos\left({a}\right)}{e^a}\d{}{x}e^x|_{x=a}$$
$$=\cos\left({a}\right)$$

A lucky coincidence. If you wrongly assume that $\ln\left({x-a}\right)=\ln\left({x}\right)-\ln\left({a}\right)=\ln\left({\frac{x}{a}}\right)$, you get the same answer. (Dull)

Related to Unraveling the Complexity of a Limit Problem Involving ln(x)

1. What is the definition of a limit problem involving lnx?

A limit problem involving lnx is a mathematical expression that involves the natural logarithm function, ln(x), and requires finding the value that a function approaches as the input, x, gets closer and closer to a specific point.

2. How do you solve a limit problem involving lnx?

To solve a limit problem involving lnx, you can use various techniques such as substitution, algebraic manipulation, and the rules of limits. It is important to simplify the expression as much as possible before evaluating the limit.

3. What is the difference between a one-sided and a two-sided limit involving lnx?

A one-sided limit only considers the behavior of the function from one direction, either approaching from the left or the right of the specific point. A two-sided limit takes into account the behavior of the function from both directions.

4. Can a limit involving lnx have multiple solutions?

No, a limit involving lnx can only have one solution. The value of the limit is unique and independent of the method used to evaluate it. If different methods yield different solutions, then the limit is undefined.

5. How are limit problems involving lnx used in real-life applications?

Limit problems involving lnx are commonly used in calculus and other areas of mathematics to solve various problems. They also have practical applications in fields such as physics, economics, and engineering to model and analyze real-life situations.