Unraveling the Controversy: The Truth Behind the Safety of Mobile Phones

• Thread starter Hyperreality
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mobile
In summary: The reporter said that he could show that if you hold a phone up to your ear while it's turned on, you will get a shock. He did some tests and claimed that this shock caused cancer. He was sued, lost, and had to pay a huge sum of money. So, if you are worried about the safety of your phone, don't hold it up to your ear while it's on.
Hyperreality
Are Mobile Phones Safe?

There seems to be a lot of controversies around the safety of mobile phones, for instance the radiation and heating on skin cells. What is more puzzlikng is that a recent article appeared in my local newspaper claimed, men who carry mobile phone in their pockets produce 30% less sperm than usual men. Where can I find up to dated information on this issue? Most information I found on google are out of date around about 1999.

Computer science news on Phys.org
If those news are true, I might get rid of my phone. :eek:

Your cell phone hardly emits any radiation at all while not being used. Having it in your pocket, separated from your testicles by several inches of leg flesh, is absolutely not going to cause any sort of problems for your fertility. The human body is mostly water, and microwaves hardly penetrate water.

The arguments about having them near your head are more plausible, but it remains that there is no scientifically valid data correlating cell phone use and any sort of brain disease. If you're that concerned, put the phone in a backpack and use a headset.

- Warren

I agree with chroot and buy a headset, they are becoming more popular and fashionable. I know ongoing tests on cell phones are being done and they have yet to detect any harmful effects from the radiation using any cell phone after like 1990 ;)

This may be the source of the news article.
Sperm count, cell phone link dismissed
Results uncertain, other factors overlooked

LONDON, England (Reuters) -- Mobile phones may damage men's sperm, Hungarian scientists say, in a study that fertility experts dismissed Monday as inconclusive...

...Fejes said more research is needed to support the findings, which will be reported to this week's conference in Berlin of the European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology.

Professor Hans Evers, a past president of the society, said the results are interesting but far from conclusive.[continued]

http://www.cnn.com/2004/HEALTH/06/28/mobiles.sperm.reut/

Last edited by a moderator:
just be sure you don't buy a Bluetooth headset ... :biggrin:

I'll go a step further than warren and greg - this is an off-shoot of the "power lines cause cancer" (and "microwave ovens cause cancer") hoax perpetrated by a devious reporter some years ago.

Related to Unraveling the Controversy: The Truth Behind the Safety of Mobile Phones

1. What are the potential health risks associated with using mobile phones?

Some studies have suggested that long-term exposure to the radiofrequency (RF) radiation emitted by mobile phones may increase the risk of certain types of cancer, such as brain tumors. However, the evidence is inconclusive and further research is needed to fully understand the potential health risks.

2. Can using a mobile phone cause infertility?

There is no conclusive evidence that using a mobile phone can cause infertility. Some studies have suggested a link between mobile phone use and reduced sperm quality, but other studies have found no association. More research is needed to understand the potential effects on fertility.

3. Are children more at risk from mobile phone radiation?

Some studies have suggested that children may be more vulnerable to the effects of mobile phone radiation due to their thinner skulls and developing brains. However, there is not enough evidence to confirm this and the World Health Organization states that there is currently no specific concern for children's health related to mobile phone use.

4. Can using a hands-free device reduce the potential health risks of mobile phones?

Using a hands-free device, such as a headset or speakerphone, can reduce the amount of RF radiation exposure to the head. However, this does not eliminate the potential health risks entirely, as other parts of the body may still be exposed to radiation from the phone.

5. Are there any safety guidelines for mobile phone use?

Most countries have set safety guidelines for the amount of RF radiation that mobile phones are allowed to emit. These guidelines are based on the recommendations of the International Commission on Non-Ionizing Radiation Protection (ICNIRP). It is important to follow these guidelines and use your mobile phone responsibly to minimize potential health risks.