Unraveling the Mystery of Binaural Beats: Nat's Story

In summary, the inner workings of the ear reveal that binaural beats are the pulsating effect perceived by the brain when slightly offset frequencies are played in each ear. The beating effect is the same frequency as would occur in the medium of sound, and this suggests that the perceived interference is not just an illusion, but "mathematical" signal progressing within the brain.
NatanijelVasic
Hello everyone,

I have been thinking about binaural beats, and after learning about the inner workings of the ear, there is something that I cannot explain. A binaural beat is the pulsating effect perceived by the brain when slightly offset frequencies are played in each ear.

In my example, the left ear receives a sine wave of 100 Hz, and the right ear receives a sine of 106 Hz. The person is wearing headphones, so the audio waves do not mix in the air, and therefore there is no interference in the air.
( ) ,
Inside each ear, the mechanical vibrations cause a certain region of hair cells to vibrate and each region corresponds to a certain resonant frequency. This means that the information sent by neurones from the ear to the brain is a Fourier representation of the original sound (neurones cannot handle fast switching, which is why audio frequencies cannot be transported in the original form through the nerve).
From the example above, this means that the brain is receiving a CONSTANT signal input from the left ear, and a constant signal input from the right - the only difference being that the left and right neurones correspond to different frequency ranges.
The mystery is this: where does the signal interference occur in order to cause the beating effect? An inverse Fourier cannot occur in the brain as the neurones "don't support" frequencies as high as audio. The brain might well add the Fourier representation of the signals from each ear, but that won't explain where the interference comes from. What is even more interesting, is that the beating effect from the interference is exactly the correct frequency i.e. the same frequency as would occur in the medium of sound. This suggests that the perceived interference is not than just an illusion, but "mathematical" signal progressing within the brain.

I would be extremely grateful for any responses :)

Nat

An example of binaural beats:

(try taking out the Left earbud only, then the right only, then listen to both at the same time)

Last edited:
Likes Merlin3189
Biology news on Phys.org
At least some of the neurons innervating the ear sensory cells in the cochlea receive input only from hair cells responsive to a single frequency.
In addition, at lower frequencies, some of these neurons can fire 1:1 with the vibrations.

Likes NatanijelVasic
BillTre said:
At least some of the neurons innervating the ear sensory cells in the cochlea receive input only from hair cells responsive to a single frequency.
In addition, at lower frequencies, some of these neurons can fire 1:1 with the vibrations.

Thank you very much for your response. Does that mean neurones in the ear can fire at 1000Hz and perhaps even slightly above?

Likes Merlin3189
There is a cut-off where the neurons can't keep up with faster rates. I forget what that cut-off frequency is. Above that, the response is not 1:1.
It would be either an increase in a base rate of neuron firing or it might fire only when the hair cells fire (another thing I forgot).

Likes NatanijelVasic
No one is arguing with you. This 'mathematical' signaling process likely occurs.

More recent work on the topic: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/264887690_Mismatch_negativity_to_acoustical_illusion_of_beat_How_and_where_the_change_detection_takes_place https://www.researchgate.net/publication/264887690_Mismatch_negativity_to_acoustical_illusion_of_beat_How_and_where_the_change_detection_takes_place
"These findings suggest that the auditory periphery has an important contribution to
novelty detection process already at sub-cortical level. Overall, a signif-
icant outcome of this study is that the detection of acoustic novelty in
the human brain is represented via a multiple-level hierarchy extending
beyond the auditory cortex. "

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes NatanijelVasic, Buzz Bloom and BillTre
Fervent Freyja said:
No one is arguing with you. This 'mathematical' signaling process likely occurs.

More recent work on the topic: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/264887690_Mismatch_negativity_to_acoustical_illusion_of_beat_How_and_where_the_change_detection_takes_place https://www.researchgate.net/publication/264887690_Mismatch_negativity_to_acoustical_illusion_of_beat_How_and_where_the_change_detection_takes_place
"These findings suggest that the auditory periphery has an important contribution to
novelty detection process already at sub-cortical level. Overall, a signif-
icant outcome of this study is that the detection of acoustic novelty in
the human brain is represented via a multiple-level hierarchy extending
beyond the auditory cortex. "

Ah I think that would explain it then. I did a test myself and the beating effect does seem to disappear at higher frequencies (i tried at around 5 KHz).

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Fervent Freyja

1. What are binaural beats?

Binaural beats are a type of auditory illusion that is created by playing two different frequencies in each ear. The brain perceives a third frequency, which can lead to various effects such as relaxation, focus, and improved mood.

2. How do binaural beats work?

Binaural beats work by creating a difference in frequency between the two ears, which the brain then interprets as a third frequency. This can lead to changes in brainwave patterns and can impact emotional and mental states.

3. What are the potential benefits of listening to binaural beats?

Some potential benefits of listening to binaural beats include stress reduction, improved focus and concentration, enhanced creativity, and improved mood. However, the effects may vary from person to person.

4. Are there any potential risks or side effects of listening to binaural beats?

Generally, binaural beats are considered safe for most people. However, it is not recommended for those with epilepsy or a history of seizures, as well as individuals with heart disorders or those prone to migraines. It is also important to listen to binaural beats at a moderate volume to avoid potential discomfort or headaches.

5. Can anyone use binaural beats?

Yes, binaural beats can be used by most people. However, it is always recommended to consult with a healthcare professional before using binaural beats, especially for those with pre-existing medical conditions or who are pregnant.