Unraveling the Mystery of Mass & Force: A 180 lb Person

In summary, force and mass are two different things. Mass is the amount of matter in a body and force is mass multiplied by acceleration. In English units, the mass of an 180 pound person is 5.59 slugs, which is equivalent to 81.65 kg. The confusion between using pound as a unit for both force and mass can be resolved by understanding the difference between pound-force and pound-mass.
Roundandround
Homework Statement
Understanding between force and mass
Relevant Equations
Word Question in Body
Background:
My understanding is force and mass are two different things.

Mass is how much matter is in a body
Force is mass multiplied by an acceleration. Here on earth, that acceleration is 32.2 Ft/s2.
Therefore, for the same mass, there can be different forces depending on the acceleration.

So, in English units, what is the mass of an 180 pound person, where 180 pounds is the force (F)?
i come up with:
mass = F/a = 180 lbs/32.2 Ft/sec2 = 5.59lbs-sec2/ft.

Not sure what I am doing wrong
Where have I gone wrong with the units?
What should be the proper unit for mass in english units?

Looking on line, some examples just convert the 180 pounds to kg, and announce 81.6kg (180/2.2) as the answer.
How can 81.6 kg be a mass when 180 pounds is a force and not a mass?

Many thanks for the help

Physics news on Phys.org
Roundandround said:
My understanding is force and mass are two different things.
Right.
Roundandround said:
Mass is how much matter is in a body
Inertial mass is defined as the resistance to acceleration, F/a.
(This is as distinct from gravitational mass, which determines how much gravitational force bodies exert on each other.)
Roundandround said:
Force is mass multiplied by an acceleration.
Right.
Roundandround said:
Here on earth, that acceleration is 32.2 Ft/s2.
That is gravitational acceleration, at Earth's surface, and it's only an average.
Roundandround said:
Therefore, for the same mass, there can be different forces depending on the acceleration.
Yes.
Roundandround said:
So, in English units, what is the mass of an 180 pound person, where 180 pounds is the force (F)?
Ah. The confusion generated by using pound for both force and mass is regrettable. Try reading https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pound_(force). Come back if you need any further explanation.

Roundandround said:
i come up with:

Not sure what I am doing wrong
Where have I gone wrong with the units? What should be the proper unit for mass in english units?

You haven't done anything wrong. One of the units of mass in the imperial system is the slug, with units in lbf*sec2/ft. Converting 180 pound-force to slugs using google gives me 5.59457 slugs, which is almost exactly what you came up with.

Roundandround said:
How can 81.6 kg be a mass when 180 pounds is a force and not a mass?

The kilogram is a unit of mass, and we can convert between force and mass as long as we know the gravitational acceleration of the object, which we do. A more massive object (i.e. an object with more mass, not one that is larger) will require a larger force to accelerate at the same rate as a less massive object. So if you know the acceleration is 32.2 ft/s2, you can measure the force applied to the object and then find the mass.

Note that the force applied by an object onto the ground due to its weight is identical to the force required to accelerate the object to the local gravitational acceleration (32.2 ft/s2 on average here on Earth). In other words, a mass of 81.65 kg requires a force of 180 pounds to accelerate it at a rate of 32.2 ft/s2.

Also, pound is actually the common name of several different units. There are pound-force (lbf), pound-mass (lb or lbm), and sometimes the poundal (pdl).

Likes FactChecker
Drakkith said:
You haven't done anything wrong. One of the units of mass in the imperial system is the slug, with units in lbf*sec2/ft. Converting 180 pound-force to slugs using google gives me 5.59457 slugs, which is almost exactly what you came up with.
To be more definitive, 1 slug = 32.2 lbm = 1 lbf s2/ft.
So if we clarify
Roundandround said:
as referring to lbf, i.e. 180 lbf/32.2 Ft/sec2 = 5.59...lbf-sec2/ft, we get 5.59 slugs.

1. What is mass?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter an object contains. It is often confused with weight, but they are not the same thing. Mass is a fundamental property of matter and is measured in kilograms (kg).

2. How is mass related to force?

According to Newton's second law of motion, force is equal to mass times acceleration (F=ma). This means that the greater the mass of an object, the more force is required to accelerate it.

3. What is the relationship between mass and gravity?

Mass and gravity are directly proportional to each other. This means that the more mass an object has, the greater its gravitational force. This is why larger objects, such as planets, have a stronger gravitational pull than smaller objects.

4. How does the mass of a person affect their weight?

Weight is a measure of the force of gravity on an object. Therefore, the mass of a person does not directly affect their weight. However, on Earth, a person's weight is often used as a measure of their mass because the force of gravity is constant.

5. Can mass and force be changed?

Mass is a constant property of an object and cannot be changed. Force, on the other hand, can be changed by applying a different amount of mass or acceleration. This is why objects feel heavier or lighter depending on the amount of force acting on them.