Unraveling the Mystery of Strained Eye Magnification

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation for angular magnification in a strained eye, which is represented by the equation M= (N/f). It also brings up the question of why the equation changes to M= (1+(N/g)) for a relaxed eye. The conversation also mentions the use of Greek letters in equations and provides a link to a reference for further understanding.
RaulTheUCSCSlug
Gold Member

Homework Statement

This is not really a homework problem but I wanted to figure out how to derive the equation for a strained eye
which is $$ M= (N/f) $$ where N is the object distance from the normal near point, and f is the focal length of a magnifying glass. But then, this is for a relaxed eye, why is it $$ M= (1+(N/g))$$ for a strained eye?

Homework Equations

I know that the equation for angular magnification is $$M=(θ'/θ)$$ and I also know that this is for when you use a simple magnifying lens.

(I tried inserting Greek letters using latex but doesn't seem to work? I wrote /theta, isn't that how you do it?)

The Attempt at a Solution

Screenshot 2015-03-19 at 10.45.33 AM.png
[/B]
I know that for a strained eye, is like when you squint the eye, which would reduce the light rays that enter your eye, but how does that change the focal point, and how does that lead to a plus one in magnification?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not at all sure what you mean by a strained eye in this context. Squinting will change depth of field, but will not directly change the focal point. It might exert some pressure on the eyeball, distorting it. Indeed, 'straining' might mean exerting such pressure, whether by squinting or otherwise.
You start off saying M=N/f is for a strained eye, but then say that's for a relaxed eye and switch to the other equation for strained.
What is g here?
Can you post any links as references for these equations?

For controls in LaTeX, including Greek letters, use backslash.

Last edited:

What is "Unraveling the Mystery of Strained Eye Magnification"?

"Unraveling the Mystery of Strained Eye Magnification" is a scientific research study that aims to understand the causes and effects of strained eye magnification, a condition where the perceived size of objects appears larger or smaller than their actual size due to strain on the eyes.

Why is it important to study strained eye magnification?

Studying strained eye magnification can help us better understand the mechanisms of vision and how the brain interprets visual information. It can also provide insights into potential treatments for eye strain and related conditions.

What factors contribute to strained eye magnification?

There are several factors that can contribute to strained eye magnification, including the shape and size of the eye, the curvature of the cornea, and the lens focusing ability. Environmental factors such as lighting and distance from the object can also play a role.

How is strained eye magnification measured?

Strained eye magnification can be measured using specialized equipment such as an ophthalmoscope or a slit lamp. These devices allow for precise measurements of the eye's shape and size, as well as the degree of magnification or distortion in the perceived size of objects.

What are some potential treatments for strained eye magnification?

Treatments for strained eye magnification may vary depending on the underlying cause. Some options include corrective lenses, eye exercises to improve eye muscle coordination, and lifestyle changes such as reducing screen time. In more severe cases, surgery may be necessary to correct any structural abnormalities in the eye.