Optics - Adding magnification in an optical system

In summary, the conversation discusses using a biconvex lens to magnify an image of an object at a distance. The lens formula is also mentioned along with the magnification equation. The question arises about using the lens for objects at different distances and the potential effect of a beam splitter on the image. The conversation ends with a suggestion to conduct an experiment with a reading glass or camera lens to understand the concept better.
nordmoon

Homework Statement

I have a system like image below

idea2.PNG

An object 1 (OP = Object plane) is projected onto the image plane 1 (IMP) where an eye is located, with a beam splitter (BS). This eye is also looking at some object at distance far away. I would like to magnify this image of the object at the distance. How can I do this?

Homework Equations

Lens formula,

1/OP + 1/IMP = 1/f.

Where the magnification is M = -IMP/OP or h_image/h_object

OP = distance of object to lens
IMP = distance of image plane of object to lens
f = focal length of lens

The Attempt at a Solution

I think a biconvex lens would work to create the magnification of the image of the object you are looking at. However I am unsure how to use it when you might look at objects at different distances. If you are looking at an object at different distances does the focal length of the lens have to change with it?

And does the beamsplitter affect the image at the object at the distance?

EDIT: updated attempt of solution and equations.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
nordmoon said:
I have a system like image below
Well now, does it work ? With the beam splitter as drawn ?
What is it that projects object 1 to an image plane ? Did you ever try to see something with your eye located at 'the image plane' (it doesn't work) ?

Ok I feel like i need to simplify this a bit.

My question is, if you have an biconvex lens and place it in front of your eye, you will see enlarged image of what you are looking at. Is this correct?
If you now look at different objects at different distances, is there a way to remain focus on the object with this lens and have same magnification? What would take to make this happen?
Would a beam splitter affect the system if placed in between the line of sight?

nordmoon said:
My question is, if you have an biconvex lens and place it in front of your eye, you will see enlarged image of what you are looking at. Is this correct?
Not really. What have you observed ? I take it you can find a reading glass or a camera lens to do the experiment ?

What is magnification in optics?

Magnification in optics refers to the process of increasing the apparent size of an object through the use of optical instruments, such as lenses or mirrors. It is typically measured as the ratio of the size of the image produced by the instrument to the size of the object itself.

What is the purpose of adding magnification in an optical system?

The purpose of adding magnification in an optical system is to make the object being observed or examined appear larger and more detailed. This is particularly useful in fields such as microscopy, astronomy, and photography, where precise and detailed observations are necessary.

How is magnification achieved in an optical system?

Magnification in an optical system can be achieved through the use of lenses or mirrors that bend and focus light, resulting in an enlarged image. This can be done by adjusting the distance between the lens or mirror and the object being observed, or by using different types of lenses or mirrors with varying levels of curvature.

What are the limitations of adding magnification in an optical system?

One limitation of adding magnification in an optical system is that it can result in a decrease in image quality, such as reduced clarity or increased distortion. Additionally, increasing magnification also decreases the field of view, making it more difficult to see the entire object at once.

How is the magnification level determined in an optical system?

The magnification level in an optical system is determined by the focal length of the lens or mirror being used. The higher the focal length, the greater the magnification. The magnification can also be adjusted by changing the distance between the lens or mirror and the object being observed.