Unsure of how to approach this type of problem—Current densities in wires

In summary, the conversation discussed finding the resistance of a wire using Ohm's Law and how it depends on the resistivity, length, and cross-sectional area of the wire. They also questioned if there are other formulas for velocity drift and discussed the relationship between two cables with different current and drift velocities.
The Blind Watchmaker

Homework Statement

Capture.PNG

1.PNG

Homework Equations

J = nqvd
J = I/A
Q = It

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically we check whether the variable that we are looking at is proportional or inversely proportional. However, at what part do we stop? Where is it okay to substitute say Q = It and where is it not? I am getting confused on this one.

Also, are there other forms of the velocity drift formula? Or is it strictly limited to vd = J/(nq) = I/(Anq) ? Thank you! :)

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    12.3 KB · Views: 756
  • 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    27.8 KB · Views: 725
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know how to calculate the resistance of a wire? If the same material, you can find the relative resistance, then use Ohm's Law to find relative currents.

For the first question, use this equation:
The Blind Watchmaker said:
Q = It
And for the 2nd question, how does the resistance of each wire depend on the resistivity ρ the length L and the cross-sectional area A?

EDIT -- Beat out by @scottdave Again! :smile:

Likes scottdave
berkeman said:
For the first question, use this equation:

And for the 2nd question, how does the resistance of each wire depend on the resistivity ρ the length L and the cross-sectional area A?

EDIT -- Beat out by @scottdave Again! :smile:
My answer is only IV true, but in the answer key it is IV and V. How does the velocity drift stay the same in both cables?

vd1/vd2 = J1/nq1⋅ nq2/J2
vd1/vd2 = q2/q1
vd1/vd2 = 4q1/q1 (based on the relation that I1 = 1/4 I2)
vd1 = 4vd2

That is why I am asking whether other formula for velocity drift exists or not (excluding the fermi velocity which is irrelevant here). Thanks!

1. What is the definition of current density?

Current density is the measure of the flow of electric current in a given material or medium. It is typically denoted by the symbol J and is expressed in units of amperes per square meter (A/m²).

2. How is current density calculated?

Current density is calculated by dividing the magnitude of the current (I) by the cross-sectional area (A) of the material through which the current is flowing. This can be represented by the equation J = I/A.

3. Why is current density important in wires?

Current density is important in wires because it helps determine the amount of current that can safely flow through the wire without causing damage. It also helps in determining the resistance and power dissipation of the wire.

4. What factors affect current density in wires?

The factors that affect current density in wires include the material of the wire, its cross-sectional area, the temperature, and the amount of current flowing through it. Other factors such as the length and shape of the wire can also have an impact.

5. How can current density be controlled in wires?

Current density in wires can be controlled by using wires with larger cross-sectional areas, which can handle higher currents without getting damaged. Additionally, using materials with lower resistivity and keeping the wire at a lower temperature can also help control current density.