Upgading From AMD to Intel, Motherboard Keeps beeping.

• Thread starter JosephC
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a person who has upgraded their computer components but is now experiencing a problem with the motherboard beeping and no display on the screen. It is suggested that the issue could be a power supply problem or a memory error. The person is advised to consult the manufacturer's documentation and try reseating components to determine the cause of the issue. It is also recommended to get new memory if the problem persists.
JosephC
I have an AlienWare Aurora computer, it was an Amd System, it had a single core processer, 256mb graphics card and Asus Motherboard.

I bought an Intel DP55WB Motherboard, an i5 Processor, 4 gig DDR3 ram and a 1Gb GDDR5 ATI Sapphire HD 5770.

I put in the motherboard and connected it all up, When i turn on the computer nothing comes up on the screen and the motherboard just keeps beeping. The fans and all the spin away.

Anyone know the Problem>?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Could be that your power supply doesn't have enough juice, so need to upgrade the power supply as well, to at least > 400 watts, check the manual just to be sure.

waht said:
Could be that your power supply doesn't have enough juice, so need to upgrade the power supply as well, to at least > 400 watts, check the manual just to be sure.

I have 485 watts power supply

JosephC said:
I have an AlienWare Aurora computer, it was an Amd System, it had a single core processer, 256mb graphics card and Asus Motherboard.

I bought an Intel DP55WB Motherboard, an i5 Processor, 4 gig DDR3 ram and a 1Gb GDDR5 ATI Sapphire HD 5770.

I put in the motherboard and connected it all up, When i turn on the computer nothing comes up on the screen and the motherboard just keeps beeping. The fans and all the spin away.

Anyone know the Problem>?

Motherboards usually have specific beeps for specific errors. Beep errors include unseated or incompatible memory, unseated or incompatible processor, unseated graphics card, power supply error, and less common ones. Check with your manufacturer's documentation.
If you cannot find documentation for the beep errors and there is no support line, try reseating all components, making sure the board is properly grounded, and if it still beeps, boot it with the minimum necessary to POST: onboard graphics, processor and one memory stick. Further beeping indicates something is wrong with the motherboard or one of these components. Unfortunately, you would need a hardware tester (a PCI card that gives error messages from the motherboard, like PC Doctor) to further diagnose which.

Last edited:
It gives 3 beeps and in the manual it says that it means a memory error. I have tried putting the ram in every slot but its still not working.

JosephC said:
It gives 3 beeps and in the manual it says that it means a memory error. I have tried putting the ram in every slot but its still not working.

Your memory may simply be bad. Get new memory and see if that fixes the problem. If the new memory causes the same problem, you may have a faulty motherboard.

1. Why is my motherboard beeping after upgrading from AMD to Intel?

The beeping sound from your motherboard is a BIOS (Basic Input/Output System) error code. This indicates that there is an issue with the hardware or configuration of your system. It is common for this error to occur when upgrading from AMD to Intel, as the two processors have different architectures and may require different BIOS settings.

2. What do the beeps mean?

The number and pattern of beeps can vary depending on the BIOS manufacturer, but typically they indicate a specific error code. You can refer to your motherboard's manual or the manufacturer's website to identify the meaning of the beeps and troubleshoot the issue.

3. Can I fix the beeping issue myself?

Yes, you can try troubleshooting the issue yourself by checking the BIOS settings, reseating the components, and making sure all connections are secure. However, if the issue persists, it is recommended to seek assistance from a professional or contact the motherboard manufacturer for support.

4. Do I need to update my BIOS when switching from AMD to Intel?

Yes, it is highly recommended to update your BIOS when upgrading to a new processor. This ensures that your system is properly configured for the new hardware and can help prevent any compatibility issues.

5. Can I use my existing AMD components with an Intel processor?

In most cases, no. AMD and Intel processors have different socket types and are not compatible with each other. This means that if you switch from an AMD to an Intel processor, you will also need to upgrade your motherboard and potentially other components such as RAM and cooling system.