Upgrade Your Telescope Today: Top 10-Inch Aperture Options Under £600

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter MrRasta230
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Telescope
In summary, the speaker is looking for a telescope with a ten inch aperture within a budget of £500-£600. They are considering the Orion xt10 classical with barlow set and the Skywatcher skyliner 250px dobsonian. They ask for quick responses and receive advice that both options are good, with a preference for the Orion xt10 due to the included Barlow lenses. They also mention considering purchasing a laser collimator to aid in collimation.
MrRasta230
I've been to a starparty and realized my telescope is well underpowered and for what I want to view. My budget is £500-£600 and I was looking for something with a ten inch aperture. I was looking at the Orion xt10 classical with barlow set or the Skywatcher skyliner 250px dobsonian. Could someone advise me as to which is best or what better options are available. Quick responses would be preferable as I'm incredibly impatient

Astronomy news on Phys.org
As far as I know, Orion and Skywatcher products are generally of decent quality, so either one is probably a good choice if you want lots of aperture for the least amount of buck. Or pound. Or euro. (or whatever that little symbol means :wink: )
I don't know what other telescopes you've owned, but if you haven't owned a parabolic reflector before just be aware that collimation is not exactly trivial. (Nor is super difficult. Unless you have a real POS like the reflector I had)

You should be pleased with either one if all you're wanting is a large aperture dob.

Thank you for the quick response, I'm probably going for the orion xt10 because for and extra £20 (pounds) you get a set of Barlow lenses. I was going to buy a laser collimator as I've heard it's difficult without and only know how to collimate with a laser

It's not terribly difficult, but a laser let's you collimate it inside and then fine tune it outside if necessary.

1. What type of telescope is best for beginners?

For beginners, it is recommended to start with a simple and easy-to-use telescope such as a refractor or a Dobsonian telescope. These types are more affordable and have a lower learning curve compared to more advanced options like reflector or compound telescopes.

2. How much should I budget for a decent telescope?

The cost of a telescope can vary greatly depending on its type, size, and features. A decent beginner telescope can range from $100 to $500. However, for a higher quality and more advanced telescope, the cost can go up to $1000 or more.

3. What should I consider when buying a telescope?

When purchasing a telescope, there are a few factors to consider such as the type, size, and portability. It is also important to consider the type of objects you want to observe, your budget, and your level of experience.

4. Can I use a telescope for both terrestrial and astronomical viewing?

Most telescopes are designed for astronomical viewing, but some can also be used for terrestrial viewing with the right accessories. However, keep in mind that the image quality may not be as clear as a traditional terrestrial telescope.

5. Do I need any additional equipment with my telescope?

Some telescopes may require additional accessories such as eyepieces, filters, and mounts for optimal viewing. It is important to research and understand the necessary equipment for your specific telescope to enhance your viewing experience.

Back