Uploading a Database to another Machine

In summary, depending on the details, you could use your own website or use phpmyadmin to interface with a database.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi All,
I want to work with my friend using a database I have in my machine but he does not have in his.
Only method I can think of to send it to him is scripting it, sending him the script and having him run it
in his machine ( we both have SQL Server Dev ). Is there some other way? Just curious.

Thanks.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Depending on the details, I might use my own website. In almost all cases, the website fees include a DBMS (such as mySQL). But you would need to have server software (perhaps php programming) to make it useful.
BTW: I use siteground - cause its cheap.

Likes WWGD
Cloud sharing .

Likes WWGD
Thanks all,
Somewhat-related: is there a way of GUI-fying a database given either as script , or as standard tables in SQL Server? EDIT: I mean, I want to have a GUI rep of the database as a list of column names, with the ows, etc as output given either the database script or as tables, as in Management Studio in SS Developer..

You want your friend to have SQL Client. Not Server. Then he can connect directly to your database using your public ip.

Likes WWGD
WWGD said:
Thanks all,
Somewhat-related: is there a way of GUI-fying a database given either as script , or as standard tables in SQL Server? EDIT: I mean, I want to have a GUI rep of the database as a list of column names, with the ows, etc as output given either the database script or as tables, as in Management Studio in SS Developer..
Sorry, I didn't see this.

It's called phpmyadmin.

Likes WWGD
You could put it on a hosting service if the design never changes and you are just changing data. I run the automated Visual Studio tools to create a CRUD website which you both could use to update the data. hosting would prolly cost $20 a month on average.

Likes WWGD
harborsparrow said:
You could put it on a hosting service if the design never changes and you are just changing data. I run the automated Visual Studio tools to create a CRUD website which you both could use to update the data. hosting would prolly cost $20 a month on average.
Thanks, it was just more of a theoretical thing, not intending to do it for now. Sorry for bother :).

1. What is the process for uploading a database to another machine?

The process for uploading a database to another machine typically involves exporting the database from the source machine and importing it into the destination machine. This can be done using specific software or through manual steps, depending on the type of database and the systems involved.

2. What are the important considerations when uploading a database to another machine?

Some important considerations when uploading a database to another machine include ensuring compatibility between the source and destination machines, backing up the database before the transfer, and making sure there is enough storage space on the destination machine to accommodate the database.

3. How long does it take to upload a database to another machine?

The time it takes to upload a database to another machine can vary depending on the size of the database and the speed of the network connection between the two machines. In general, it can take anywhere from a few minutes to several hours.

4. Are there any potential risks involved in uploading a database to another machine?

Yes, there are potential risks involved in uploading a database to another machine. These include data loss or corruption during the transfer process, compatibility issues between the source and destination systems, and security risks if the transfer is not done securely.

5. What are the alternatives to uploading a database to another machine?

Instead of uploading a database to another machine, you could consider using a remote connection to access the database on the source machine, or using a cloud-based database service that can be accessed from multiple machines. Another option is to physically transfer the database files using a storage device, such as a USB drive.